News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

New Brighton State Beach

Started by Diane Jankauskas, Apr 01, 2007, 12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Jankauskas

Hi, has anyone been to this campground?  I was wondering if you could tell me a little bit about it?  Campsite reccomendations?  Any info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Di

forestwalker

We've camped there,and liked it.Since then, they have done some "remodeling"-Therefore we are unable to comment much about site specifics.A couple of pieces of general advice: Make reservations early.If you camp there in the Summer,be prepared for cool mornings and evenings(due to fog).It is a bit of a walk down to the beach.The ocean water is cold along the Central Coast.Lots to see and do in the area.

Diane Jankauskas

Thanks, it seems almost impossible to get 2 days in a row reserved, but they look like they have some openings in Aug/Sept.  I'd better jump on them soon before even those are gone.  It's kind of crazy to camp in CA!

towrod

NB State Beach is a great place to camp!  Campsites are located on a bluff above the beach with direct access via several trails.  This is one of the VERY FEW dog friendly State Beaches.  The Beach connects up to nearby Sea Cliff State Beach.  
Since it is a California State property reservations become available at 8AM on the first of each month for the entire month that is 6 months out.  In other words - the entire month of October 2007 became available to reserve at 8:00am on Sunday April 1 (no foolin').
Even though we were camping we set the alarm clock and had both cell phones redialing at 8am to get our reservations for mid October.   Even then we could not get the premium ocean view sites... but there were plenty of others to choose from.  
If you do go; be sure to keep to the trails.  Plenty of Poison Oak if you go off trail.

6Quigs

We've camped there plenty of time, as it is only 30 minutes from our house. Last year, RV Roadtrips filmed an episode of their show featuring us camping at New Brighton.
They did close it down a couple of years ago, and did a remodel, replacing all the restrooms with new buildings, and added a half dozen sites with power and water. As Towrod said, it is a popular campground, and the premium sites do book up fast. There is plenty to do locally, with Capitola just a mile away, and Santa Cruz just 6 miles away