News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

What's everyone up to?

Started by Surfcal, Jun 02, 2009, 11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwenzilla

Hey Rick, we were up that way in 2007 and had to check out Confusion Hill and the One Log House because both those places have penny squishing machines and we love to collect as many squished pennies (elongated coins) in our travels as possible.  Its a fabulous area! We ended up doing most of the coast up there too.   http://campgwenzilla.homestead.com/NorthernCalTrip2007.html

We haven't really got going yet on this years camping due to some personal complications.  However as soon as we can we'll be out and hope to see you sometime/place.  

Here's our shout out to everyone!  and has anyone heard from Joan & Sal?  I've been off the forums way too long and was wondering how everyone was faring.

George

LACamper

We're still getting the tow vehicle ready! I added the dog divider today to my new (to us) 08 Xterra.
I priced the receiver hitch setup at Nissan today and decided I'll be ordering one of the aftermarket kits! Jeez...  $250 vs $150 for the same parts, and that's not including the wiring. Then they wanted another $200 in labor to install about 8 nuts and bolts, they're nuts!
Still haven't decided on a popup. Probably not until the fall...

Calstate361

Hey all, good to see some action on this site for a change.  I have been so busy with having to go back to work after I retired (thanks economy!) that I haven't been able to get away either.  

We still have the 36 foot 5th Wheel towed with the Ford F25.

I would love to go camping with all of you to see you, but....we were supposed to go to the NACO/TT resort close to home called Ponderosa that is located in Lotus just up the road for us, but Sal was in the hospital, so I had to postpone leaving for a week to let him recouperate.  We started on the trip and the transmission went out on our F250 and we coasted down that big hill into the first off ramp at El Dorado Hills.  I guess it was a good thing because a few days later I came home from work (I had been call in because they were notified that we were being moved and I had to come in to get my plants and pack my stuff) and found Sal in a Diebetic Coma (sugars down to 20!) so off to ER.  Any way to make a long story short, he has been in and out of the ER (3 trips in the past 2 weeks) and hospital ever since.  The doctors finally figured out that he had a urinary infection and his amonia levels were sky high which has caused him to be confused, talking crazy, and out of it.  He's not in a coma, they say, because when you ask him a question, he answers, we just can't understand him.   He was out of it until this past Sunday and Monday they moved him out of ICU into his own room.  He's still a bit confused but is getting better and the doctor thinks they may release him on Friday.  The doctors say that with his Cirrosus of the Liver he is going to continue to be a sikly person.  They will be able to clear up the confusion part with medicine, but he will continue to be in and out of the hospital.    

I'm trying to work this whole month (as a Retired Annuitant with the State, I can work 960 hours in a Fiscal Year without messing up my retirement) so we can get the transmission fixed because I NEED TO GO CAMPING!!!

Those of you who have been camping with us remember our big dog, Buddy.  If you recall, we had to put him down, due to cancer, a year ago this month.  Because Killer missed him so much we rescued another Chihuahua from the Pound and August will be a year that we have had her.  We miss Buddy especially when we go camping, he was such a good camping dog and all the kids loved him.  Anyway, Taz is fitting in but we are not sure how she will be when we camp.  We took her camping for the first time right after we got her but she was sick with kennel cough which led into phoenomia (sp?) and we haven't had her camping since.  It would have been the first real trial when the truck broke so we will have to wait and see.   She gets real "noisy" when the mail man comes so we don't know how much noise she will make when camping.   I need to get the transmission fixed so I CAN GO CAMPING!!!  Other than all of that, same old same old.

Talk to you all soon.

Joan

OC Campers

Sorry to hear that Sal has been under the weather.  I hope he gets will soon.

Jacqui

Calstate361

THANKS Jacqui,

Sal is getting there slowley but surley.  I talked to the discharge planner today and Kaiser is sending him to rehab in a Skilled Nursing Facility for 10 days in Roseville.   I'm so glad as I was worried that he might slip back while at home an I'm at work.

I'll PM you as to where he will be in case you want to surprise him and stop by.

Joan

Gwenzilla

Quote from: Calstate361;207516.......They will be able to clear up the confusion part with medicine....

Now THATS what my wife says I Need!

Joan, so sorry to hear of all your and Sal's recent bad fortune, however we are glad to hear that Sal's problems are on the wane.  Give him our best wishes.  

Hope to see you out camping soon.

George

Calstate361

I hear you George, I think we all need some of that from time to time.   THANKS for the well wishes and I'll pass them on to Sal when I see him tomorrow.  

There was a change in plans as the facility in Roseville didn't have a bed for him so he is in a place called Mission, Carmichael; of course, in Carmichael.

Jacqui, I guess you can't surprise him now.

THANKS ALL FOR THE WELL WISHES.

Joan

Calstate361

Here's an update on Sal...

He was released Saturday morning and is feeling OK, but tired.  His problems with his amonia levels getting out of wack may be a constant thing; so for now we are having to have blood drawn every week to keep an eye on it.  I took him in for that on Tuesday and yesterday I got a call from the doctor that the levels were up again so they increased his medicine.  Because of this he is still getting confused and disoriented.  I have to make sure he takes his meds and watch him if we go anywere as he gets confused and walks the wrong way.  I hope this doesn't last very long as it is very draining.  Since I'm a Retired Annuitant for the State I usually work 3-8 hour days a week so I have changed my work hours to 6:30-12:30, which is a 6 hour day 4 days a week in order to make sure he takes his meds at noon time.  It's rough right now with this and all the other stuff going on.  The first thing he did when he got home was mess up the TV and Computer so I'm typing this from work.  Our son is coming over on Saturday to fix the problam as I can't figure out what Sal did.

BTW, since I work for the State Board of Equalization, this Department is not a part of the furloughs.  They do not report directly to the Governor.  The Board did send a letter to the Governor stating that unless he could prove that the furloughs were not a hardship on it's employees, the Department would not participate in the furloughs, but will cut costs as much as possible.
YAHOO, thank you Board!!!

I'll keep you all updated on Sal's recovery.

Joan

OC Campers

I am so glad to hear Sal is home.  Who stays with him when you are at work?   I hope things keep improving for him.

Jacqui

Civil_War_Buff

Hey All,

Just surfing through and saw a few familiar faces (handles).  We have been busy with the new Grand-twins, and we wanted to give the kids a chance to save up for a place of their own so we had another bedroom and bath added to accomodate them.  They just finished that construction last week so the kids have been busy moving back in.  We had been planning a trip to Branson for the past 3 years, but had to cancel at theast minute due to my being layed off from HP.  Well, officially I am "retired" but I will need to go back to work (to pay for the construction) soon, but for a few months I am taking it easy.  
We are going camping (first since Memorial Day) to the Russian river canoeing this coming weekened (while some are at Smithwoods).

Sal and Joan, I pray for Sal's speedy recovery and hope that you guys get a tranny and get camping soon.  I sure hope that Sal get oriented before he gets behind the wheel though ;-)

Best to all and hope that you have a great summer.

George, I will see you in October, right???????

Larry & Veronica

Gwenzilla

Quote from: Civil_War_Buff;208349George, I will see you in October, right???????

Larry, even though both Donna & I have both been laid off we are planning on attending the October get together.  Sad to say that it may be our only camping trip this year due to our existing limited financial capacity, but hopefully by the grace of God we shall find employment and get over our pecuniary difficulties.  
Looking forward to seeing y'all in October.

G.

Calstate361

OMG! Sorry to hear about all the layoffs, it's so sad that we work so hard to make a living and the economy takes a dump and dumps on all of us.   That's why I had to go back to work, just didn't have enough to cover all the increased costs.  Luckily I got back into a Department that doesn't have to participate in the furloughs, but you never know, I may get the axe yet.

As for who stays with Sal while I'm at work, no one.   I have changed my hours to 6:30-12:30, Monday - Thursday, so I'm home by 1:05 to check on him, give him his meds, and clean up the mess he has caused in the house.  He wanders around and moves things, doesn't put things back (nothing new on this one, just worse) and is always looking for something that I don't know what it is or why.  Last week after a lab test for his amonia levels the Dr called and I had to increase his Lactulose from 3 times a day to 4 times a day because the levels were somewhat raised.  We went back to the lab yesterday to draw more blood so the results would be ready when we see the Dr this afternoon.  I hope the amonia levels have settled down as he hates taking that stuff; I guess it tasts pretty nasty.  It's thicker than white Karo syrup and sometimes it's green or clear depending on what the pharmacy has on hand.  Anyway, he seems to be doing better as he is not as confused as he was last week.  It's a day at a time now and I'm just hanging in there.  I'll give Sal all your best wishes.  He can't read this at home as he broke the computer.  Hopefully his son will come back this weekend and get it fixed.   We'll keep our fingers crossed.

THANKS ALL

Joan