News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

1970 Nomad

Started by heygirl, Feb 19, 2008, 07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heygirl

Hi, restored an old Palomino several years back and I'm picking up my 1970 Nomad Pop-up on sunday.  I can't seem to find anything online and the previous owner only has the title.  I'm going to have Bear Creek make a new canvas and start with a good cleaning and make some new cushions for the bench seats.  I can't wait to get her home and start working on her.

Anyone ever heard of the Nomad name?  I can only find links to larger campers but nothing old.

tlhdoc

Welcome to PUT.  I have heard of Nomad trailers, but that is about all I know of them.  Good luck on the rehab.:)

heygirl

Thanks for the welcome!  I think in it's day, it was a pretty nice camper to have.  It has a fridge (doesn't work now) but I would think that would have been more rare in a 70.  I like that it is more of a plain jane and I won't have to be too worried about much going wrong with it.  Now I'm hoping for good weather for sun.  I want to get the canvas into Bearcreek so I can get the $25 off (it will probably cost me almost as much to ship it to them!).

Used 2B PopUPTimes

FYI - Canvas Replacments bought the inventory of parts etc when Nimrod stopped production. Bob @ CR says he has enough inventory and may start making them again someday.
D.

heygirl

I'm never heard of Nimrod, is that the manufacturer or Nomad campers?

Trailman

Quote from: heygirlI'm never heard of Nimrod, is that the manufacturer or Nomad campers?
There was a discussion on the Nomad name on this or another forum but i can't remember if it was verified that the Nomad was a model name for Nimrod trailers.
I can tell you that Nimrod was one of numerous divisions of C.J.Ward manufacturing and were based at 500 Ford Boulevard, Hamilton, Ohio.
Different models of trailers were made under  Ward, Nimrod and Wayfarer names.
I have photo of early Nimrod trailers that i found on the web that i can post to compare to your Nomad, photos of Nimrods that i have range from 1957 to the late sixties.
Do you have any photos of your Nomad Trailer to post? I would love to see some.

heygirl

Trailman,

I only have 1 photo up on my website.  I took more but haven't posted them yet.  I plan to post photos as we restore it/fix-it up.  Here's a link:  http://heygirl211.tripod.com/iwantapopup

The canvas is gone, we put a new jack on the front, took off the propane tank (there's no stove inside) got rid of the dry-rotted spare tire, fixed a few of the poles so we can lift it now without any strain and I started cleaning up the inside.

We had a nice warm weekend and now we have a bad winter storm but I'm hoping for a warm weekend.  My next job is to scrape the peeling paint off the ceiling so I can repaint it and then paint the interior before the new canvas arrives.

We found out the old wiring has to go too.  It's not grounded and the wire going to an outlet looked a little frazzled to me.

The downfall is there is no sink inside, just the bunk end beds and the table/bed.  There's no electric lights inside.  I have battery operated led lights to put up on the ceiling and a table lamp that can also be hung.

Since we have to do some rewiring, we'll add a couple more outlets.  Either my fiance is trying to humor me or he's convinced it will come out ok.  He has a Coleman 2003 1/2 Carmel but it's not big enough if we take all of the kids and this one will be mine and my oldest daughter's and we can take it on trips that he doesn't go with us.

Trailman

Hey Linda, how is the Nomad restoration going?
Did you find a manufacturer name/ factory address anywhere on the trailer?

heygirl

Hi Trailman,

It's coming along.  We have the new canvas back from Bear Creek.  It was pretty easy to install but it's quite a bit loose.  I didn't get a chance to wet it down before we took it out for the first time so the bed ends sagged bad.  Took it out this weekend and it survived a severe thunderstorm, the winds were so bad it moved the camper off 2 of the sets of blocks under the stands and some rain did get in around the beds (since it doesn't fit right).  Since it really got wet, I'm counting on some shrinkage or else I'll be calling Bear Creek up to figure out a solution.

I still have to get the new sub floor in, new tile, new trim and a little painting.  Then install the mini fridge and not sure if I'll install a microwave or just buy a little one.

I never did find any info on the camper.  There was/is a sticker on the outside but you can't make anything out and still haven't seen another one on the road.  It does tow real nice and it sure is small but we can all get in there and sleep so that's all that matters.  I do need to post some pictures.  I'll start working on that.

Thanks for checking in with me!