News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

1974 starcraft swinger 8 questions

Started by shawnkfl, Mar 03, 2008, 07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnkfl

i may buy one that needs some work. it's only $100.00 so i may get it. it needs lift cables and canvas and tires. where can i get these? what size tires came on this thing and is there anywhere i can buy or download a manual?

wavery

Quote from: shawnkfli may buy one that needs some work. it's only $100.00 so i may get it. it needs lift cables and canvas and tires. where can i get these? what size tires came on this thing and is there anywhere i can buy or download a manual?
Welcome to PUT!!!!!  

Good luck finding a manual download on a 34-year-old PU (stranger things have happened). Someone around here may have one that they could copy for you.

jakelaw

There is a site with a manual, popup portal  PM me (or e-mail if you prefer), as I have all but rebuilt several parts of my '74 Starmaster 6, including the lift system.  Canvas and tires are easy.  Bear creek Canvas for the canvas, and your local trailer supply for tires.  I do think $1,000 is a lot, I paid $500 for ours 6 years ago, and I did not need to and still do not need to replace the canvas.  The manual will not tell you how to replace the cables, it is pretty much a figure it out yourself, unless you want to pay through the ^%#^%#$^ to get them replaced.

Quote from: waveryWelcome to PUT!!!!!  

Good luck finding a manual download on a 34-year-old PU (stranger things have happened). Someone around here may have one that they could copy for you.

shawnkfl

not $1,000.00...it's only $100.00. is it worth trying to save? god knows what else it needs inside. i havn't seen it yet.

heygirl

It could be worth saving.  Bear Creek charges $775 for a new canvas.  I just ordered one for my 70 Nomad and I think it is worth the price.  I would check it over good for wood rot.  I don't know how difficult the lift system will be to repair.  I think tires go for around $60 a piece.  I have to get tires too but I haven't gotten them yet.

Good luck!

Old Starcraft

Congrats on the purchase. :-()  I purchased a 76' Stardust Swinger and have been working on it since last summer. working on it isn't too bad. I just finished putting cables on it a couple of weeks ago. I had to fix two places where the posts were being supported only by the pulley underneath. It took me a good 8 hours to do it for the most part by myself, with a little help from my wife. I researched cables and found it was best / easier to buy original Star Craft cables the correct length, and ends (vs buying cable from Lowe's et al and modyifing them). they only charged my $125 incl. shipping and taxes. The precut cables with end connections to me were worth the extra money.  :)

I do have a StarCraft repair manual, if I can put my hands on it. I'd be glad to copy it and ship it to you for the cost of postage (Let me know if you're interested.). If you want to go cheap on the canvas I found a seller on ebay who is selling their old, one here's the link. I hope the link works.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250221765666&rd=1

Since I just finished putting the cables on recently I'd be glad to give you a few tips not included in the manual.

shawnkfl

i appreciate the offer on the manual. i havn't bought the camper yet though. i'm going to look at it saturday and possibly bring it home if it's not too bad. what size tires are on yours? i need to take tires with me in case i buy it and i don't know what tire size they are. if i buy it, i would love to buy the manual from you.

Old Starcraft

My 76' has ST175/80/13. I purchased a "C" rated tire since this rating will allow for more weight on these older / heavier campers/ You can also call the seller and have him/her confirm the tire size by the red sticker on the inside of the door (well that is if the tires . rims are the original size), or best yet check on the actual tire.  

I've enjoyed working on mine. I still have many stages of restoration to go. Currently I'm on the first one to make it road and camping ready. We'll be camping at a nearby state park this weekend :tent:  . Even my wife and son are getting pretty excited (Now that it looks like a camper). My wife has plans to paint the inside with a beach theme.
 :)

shawnkfl

cool. thank you for the information. do you know what your trailer weighs? the one i'm going to look at should be close to the same weight.

Old Starcraft

The Gross weight is around 2,700 lbs.

:yikes:

Funrover

Yes it's worth it!! I bought a 1971 Cox Conestoge for $180. Used it a few years then totally rebuilt it   I love it!

campfireguy

good luck on your possible purches.  your profile didn't list a location and i'm not privvy where bear creek is. if you are close to wisconsin theres CanvasReplacements.com        you send them the canvas and they'll send back. they also do lift systems roofs and cusions. almost $900 for the bed ends for my 83 rockwood. good luck again.  not sure how to do that cool signiture at the bottom so's i'll type it.

2004 mercury mountaineer V8 AWD
 1983 Rockwood 1006
   JAMES LORI AMBER(5)
          " When you say Wisconsin , You've said it all"

ScouterMom

I recently re-did the entire cable system on my 1973 starmaster 6 - basically the same box and canvas as a 'swinger' - you just have 2 dinette/ sleepers where I have one.  

However, that 'Swinger' kitchen feature is really cool - certainly worth restoring if the basics are in good shape.  I'd love to have one of those!

I do have a lift system manual on the computer - it's a scanned photo-copy and not always easy to see the diagrams, but it does explain it pretty clearly.  What it doesn't explain, many of us here can help you fill in.

I've downloaded it to my photo albums on Webshots - feel free to copy it!  

here's a small sample page:

Just click on the photo to go to the whole album where you can download it. if you print them in the larger size, they are pretty clear.

Also, last year after i bought my camper on E-bay, Starcraft sent me a photocopy of the owner's manual for my 1973 - free.  Starcraft is great at customer service & working with people trying to restore these old campers.  they are very popular, and you can still get  parts for them.

Many things are universal and are either standard hardware-store parts, or just don't change much.  I had a smaller 1976 starcraft a few years ago - and was able to buy parts locally and get tires at Farm & Fleet for it.  all you need is the tire and rim size.  

laura