SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

RE: General coughing and rousing

Started by 6Quigs, Jan 22, 2003, 08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red neff Barchetta

Guest(whispering)

Psst, Dave -
 This cg and area is the quintessential mountain camping experience.  What we all dream about.  We will be back probably as soon as next summer if not the spring.
 Anyway, you take 80 up to Auburn, then 17 miles on Foresthill Rd. to Foresthill (took 20 minutes), and then a very curvy and slow 35 miles with a 1,000 foot drop on one side of the road to French Meadows reservoir on Mosquito Ridge Rd./National Forest Rd. #96.  That last 35 miles I am positive is the reason for only the hearty campers to go.  It took us about 1 hour and 10 minutes.  If you go slow with caution and enjoy the experience and scenery you will forget all about it before you are even backed into your site.  My only caution is that you need a strong TV with good brakes and tranny.  I dropped down to 2nd. gear for most of the downhill portions so my brakes would be there 100% when I really needed them.  It took us just over 4 hrs. going and just under 4 hrs. coming home.
 Click here;
 http://www.reserveusa.com/jsp/commonpage.jsp?goto=/nrrs/ca/frem/newindex.html
 I day dreamed all day today at work about the w/e.
 (whispering mode off)

So anyway, this was a terrible place and I don t recommend anyone wasting their time going there.

Red neff BarchettaNow the 64K question, did you stop at the grocery store in Foresthill and get a bag of freshly fried flour tortilla chips and their fresh salsa?  If not, you will have to add it to the checklist prior to going by there again.  We usually go to Sugar Pine Reservior (Giant Gap campground) and I think 1/2 the reason is so we can get the chips.

Campinggeek
 AKA Jon

Red neff Barchetta

GuestJon -
 We didn t stop at the store although we went right past it.
 We pulled into a gas station/mini-mart for gas (so we would have a full tank for day trips around French Meadows) and to top off our ice supply.

We will definitely pick up some chips and salsa next time.
 Thanks for the " chip" !

Red neff Barchetta

GuestI was just checking out the updated Coleman site.
 Looks like they have flipped around all the floor-plans with the kitchen area s in back now to the front.  Why did they always deny sway could happen with the kitchens in the rear of the older models, ha?  They now offer a cover for your PU too!  So much for voiding the warranty if you cover it I guess.  The new Highlander series is supposed to be their version of a Hybrid (their press release).  Well where are the holding tanks for grey and black water?
 I don t mean to rant, because I love my 2002 Utah and we now realize that we are PU people (especially with the drill and other speedy mod s.) to remain for quite a while, but this season s models combined with Coleman trying to get Fleetwood to drop their name just gives me a bad feeling about the quality and direction they are heading towards.

Nick

GuestWe finally leave this afternoon for 11 days of camping!!!!!!  Now if I can just make it through eight hours of work first.

SactoCampers

Red neff Barchetta
QuoteORIGINAL:  Red neff Barchetta

I was just checking out the updated Coleman site.
 Looks like they have flipped around all the floor-plans with the kitchen area s in back now to the front.  Why did they always deny sway could happen with the kitchens in the rear of the older models, ha?  They now offer a cover for your PU too!  So much for voiding the warranty if you cover it I guess.  The new Highlander series is supposed to be their version of a Hybrid (their press release).  Well where are the holding tanks for grey and black water?
 I don t mean to rant, because I love my 2002 Utah and we now realize that we are PU people (especially with the drill and other speedy mod s.) to remain for quite a while, but this season s models combined with Coleman trying to get Fleetwood to drop their name just gives me a bad feeling about the quality and direction they are heading towards.

I also see they ve got a lightweight 11  popup with shower and cassette potty called the Pecos. Where was this model three years ago when I was looking? Gee, you think they named it after the dealership in Atlanta?

gsm x2

Nick
QuoteWe finally leave this afternoon for 11 days of camping!!!!!! Now if I can just make it through eight hours of work first.

Have fun Mike

Scott

Stimpy

gsm x2I have a semi-stupid question...where di eveyone get those great silver covers for the ends of the pop-ups to keep the temp down inside???

gsm x2

Stimpy
QuoteI have a semi-stupid question...where di eveyone get those great silver covers for the ends of the pop-ups to keep the temp down inside???

www.popupgizmos.com

And if you let them know that you are a member of the ARVEE CLUB, they ll give you the 10% PUT Store Discount.  Definitely worth it if you ask me.

gsm x2

Ab Diver

Red neff Barchetta
QuoteORIGINAL:  Red neff Barchetta

(whispering)

Psst, Dave -

<<<< snippage of *super secret stuff*>>>>

(whispering mode off)

So anyway, this was a terrible place and I don t recommend anyone wasting their time going there.

Cool, Thanks Jeff. Yeah, I wouldn t wanna go there either. [;)]

Ok, file the rest of this post under " Fishing for Sympathy" :  

I got next week off for vacation! And guess where we are going? NOWHERE!! That s right, I get to stay home and paint me bloody house. Spent a couple hours tonight pressure washing the spider webs off the T-111 siding (there should be a special place in H*ll for whoever invented that stuff!  [:@] ). I ll get some more done tomorrow night. I ll have to wait until I can get a 40  articulating boom lift from the rental place on Monday to start the painting with the second story due to the house design. Meanwhile, the ocean is dead calm, and I ll be caulking and prepping all weekend. [:(]

Ab Diver--- who HATES house painting [: (] and is trying to instigate an instant rally at his house for all pop-up painters if he supplies the beer and Tri-Tip ... [8D]

6Quigs

Ab Diver
QuoteThat s right, I get to stay home and paint me bloody house.

I hope that is not the color you chose[:o]

6Quigs

Red neff Barchetta
QuoteThey now offer a cover for your PU too! So much for voiding the warranty if you cover it I guess.
You can only cover the new Alumitite roofs, not your one piece non lealing ABS roof.[:o]

Red neff Barchetta

GuestKevin -
 Someone at PUX (Bluesman I think) called Coleman, er Fleetwood, and talked to a rep. directly.  He/she said that yes, you can cover your ABS roof as well as the other 2 roof s they produce, but only if you buy and use THEIR cover.
 Weird huh?

gsm x2

QuoteSomeone at PUX (Bluesman I think) called Coleman, er Fleetwood, and talked to a rep. directly. He/she said that yes, you can cover your ABS roof as well as the other 2 roof s they produce, but only if you buy and use THEIR cover.
 Weird huh?

Not that weird if you look at what some people use to cover their boats with. Some people use specially made boat covers (maybe equivilant to what Coleman is offering); others use blue tarps until they rot away into a something that can best be described as reinforced polydirt.

gsm x2

Ab Diver

gsm x2
Quoteothers use blue tarps until they rot away into a something that can best be described as reinforced polydirt.

ROTFLMAO! Nope, that can t be what they turn into, cuz my back yard dries out in the summer to what can be described as " reinforced polydirt" . Oops, my mistake...  maybe that s reinforced (rock infused) polyclay. Dang stuff is harder to dig a trench in than you can believe. I m the only guy I ve ever heard of who had to sharpen a maddock cuz the *dirt* dulled the tip. [&:]

The problem with covering the tops was/is condesation. If you have ventilation under the tarp, there shouldn t be a problem. That s what these " special"  covers do, IIRC.