News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

No. Calif winter camping

Started by OC Campers, Jan 10, 2006, 04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OC Campers

Does anyone have a nice winter camping cg?  Since I am on disability till 3/1, I thought about maybe trying to get the family to go camping. I can sit in a chair at the cg as well as at home.   I am hoping to go 2/17-2/20 since the kids are off school on this Monday (hopefully the weather will be nice that weekend).  The cg must have water and electric since the nights will be cold.  I also want to stay within a couple of hours of Sacramento.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Jacqui

boncrab

I'm guessing the Oleman rally wasn't a go this year.  too bad, my family had a great time last year.  I work for a CPA so winter camping that far away is a no go for me.

zamboni

Kelly and I would probably be up for camping around then.  We've been to a campground in Napa a couple of times, Skyline Wilderness Park - once on our own (day hiking), and another last year with our NorCal Starcraft camping club (we are still "legacy" members since we used to own a Starcraft, and I'm their occasional webmaster).

http://www.ncfaa.com/skyline/rvcamp.htm

Not sure if there is any Napa tasting yet, but it is a decent park.

Another place is Midway RV park in Vacaville (again with our club; they tend to do more RV parks, since many have 5th wheels).  Can't find the URL, but it is down the road from Neil's Vinyard (on Midway road in Vacaville).

Then there was Lake Francis, that we liked.

Another favorite of ours is Rollins Lake - but the best campground there is "dry" (best, because the other 3 are more "on the lake", high-density camping, geared for boaters and jet-skiers)... so that will have to wait until warmer weather!

zamboni

Just realized something funny...

Your thread title can be read as "NO" California camping this winter (as in "not going to do it").

:)

OC Campers

Quote from: zamboniJust realized something funny...

Your thread title can be read as "NO" California camping this winter (as in "not going to do it").

Glenn you are the only one that would notice this;) :D .

We would love to have you guys come along.  The kids always prefer to camp with others.  Now if only the weather cooperates.;)

Were the 2 RV parks that you mentioned nice or were they just like parking lots with a tree here and there?  We love Francis Lake and wouldn't mind going there again.  

We still plan on going to Rollins Lake with you guys.

Jacqui

wavery

Quote from: zamboniJust realized something funny...

Heck.......when I read that, I got on the phone and canceled all my reservations for this winter. I took as a command "NO Calif winter camping". I thought that it was kinda harsh but I always do what I'm told :D

OC Campers

Quote from: waveryHeck.......when I read that, I got on the phone and canceled all my reservations for this winter. I took as a command "NO Calif winter camping". I thought that it was kinda harsh but I always do what I'm told :D
Hey if everyone would stop camping in California, maybe I could get a beach site thru reserve america:D

If you guys don't stop teasing me about my opeing line I will just have to fix it;) .  BTW, does being blonde help in this situation?:confused: :D ;) :p

Jacqui

OC Campers

Glenn--A fellow camper from PUX recommended this place.  It is a little pricey but it is right on the American River.  Check it out and let me know what you think.   My son actually just got back from a 3 night school trip to this place.  Small world.

www.colomaresort.com

Jacqui

zamboni

Coloma Resort looks nice -- but I'm not sure it would be a good Winter destination :)  It has 30% more rainfall and about 5 degrees colder average than Napa.

Kelly corrected me; we actually stayed at Neil's Vinyard.  It was an RV park, but had lots of trees and dirt/gravel roads.  The campers are not that far apart, but it defintely was not a "parking lot" type place.  The advantage there was the proximity to the factory outlets (average high 62)

Skyline was more of a gravel parking lot - but it is in a valley with hiking trails going in all 3 directions.  So, though you may not be mobile, the kids could be sent off hiking (or biking, if they bring them).  A big advantage here is proximity to Napa Valley vinyards.  Average high temperature in Feb is 62.

Kelly, last year, had bookmarked a place in Oroville that she found interesting (somewhat closer for you than us!).  River Reflections RV Resort:
http://www.rvparkresort.com/

16 acre park along the Feather River, backs up against a 11,000 acre wildlife preserve, full hookups (with internet access), year-round fishing, a day hike to the 6th highest waterfall, 41 miles of bike trails.  Sounds great - but maybe even for later in the year when the weather is better?

Otherwise, we're up for just about anywhere...

OC Campers

Decisions Decisions.  All of these parks appear nice.  If I told Randy that the one in Vacaville was near the outlets he would say "no way"!!:D   I love to shop!!  I don't know which place to choose.  I like the idea of going somewhere new   Which place would you like?  The Coloma place looks nice but the weather scares me a little.  The Vacaville place looks nice and so does the Oroville place or do we go to the old standby, Francis Lake.  I will need your help iin choosing,

Jacqui

zamboni

Well... one thing to factor is, what to do to ensure your kids are entertained (and thus not whining/bugging you) :)

With you on disability, how does that affect you?  Would you be up for a trip to the outlets?  Would you be up for doing any wine tasting if we went to Napa (are the wineries even open in Jan?)

On the other hand, that new campground near Oroville looks nice... and looks to have plenty of area for kids to run around in, and not a "parking lot" if you have to stay in the camper.  Of course, I'm a touch leary since I've never been there, and if it is not great, will feel guilty for "choosing" it!

If you did not want to, or are not able to, do wine tasting, then Napa would be out - since the CG itself is less desireable if you are just staying in the camper.

Thus (if no wine tasting), my vote would be Kelly's Oroville or Vacaville...

OC Campers

Hi Glen--
Randy would enjoy wine tasting a lot. Problem with that is the kids would hate it unless there are kid things to do there. I am not a huge drinker so I could be the designated driver.  As far as the outlets I probably won't be up for that yet.  I am walking pretty slow right now but hey this is a whole month away.

I do have to throw a wrench into the works though. Randy just told me he is out of town that whole week and will be coming home Friday night. It just so happens he will be in Phoenix for almost a month.:( . We would have to arrive on Saturday and leave Monday:mad: . We could be there fairly early on Saturday since Napa isnt too far away. I am bummed. I was really hoping to have an extended weekend.

Jacqui

OC Campers

Glen--I am on a mission here.  I just looked again at my calendar and the kids are out of school on Friday and Monday.  Now I really want to go for the whole time.  Maybe I will wait till Randy is in a good mood and ask him to show how to hitch up the camper.  I know I can tow it (I have done it once before) it is just backing it in and lighting the fridge and water heater that would scare me.  He gets home Sunday, I will let you know what he says

Jacqui

wavery

Quote from: OC CampersGlen--I am on a mission here.  I just looked again at my calendar and the kids are out of school on Friday and Monday.  Now I really want to go for the whole time.  Maybe I will wait till Randy is in a good mood and ask him to show how to hitch up the camper.  I know I can tow it (I have done it once before) it is just backing it in and lighting the fridge and water heater that would scare me.  He gets home Sunday, I will let you know what he says

Jacqui
Jacqui

I would encourage all adult members of the family to practice lighting the fridge, water heater and any other devise in any RV. Wow, that's all part of the entire experience.

Backing a trailer can be intimidating but the dynamics are really simple. Just remember that the rear of the tow vehicle steers the front of the trailer. It really isn't a lot more complicated than that. For those that are dyslexic, it may be a little harder. Again, I would encourage practicing it. The important part is to go slow and have someone watching the trailer for jackknifing (the rear of the tow vehicle touching the corner of the trailer).  Also, never try to force the trailer over obstacles (rocks, curbs, logs, pot holes etc) while backing. You can cause damage to the trailer that way.

The other solution to backing a PU is to simply detach it from the tow vehicle and maneuver the trailer by hand (push it). The kids could be a great help here and I'll bet that a lot of your neighbors would quickly chip in. Just make sure that someone is assigned the job of putting chocks under the wheels on command.

I consider myself a pretty good trailer backer and I still unhook it and push it just for time and accuracy sake. My PU trailer is about 2700# and I find it rather easy to push by hand (on smooth surfaces). Some campsites that I go to, it is impossible to back the trailer where I want to put it.

Once you get used to backing the trailer, it's really quite fun to see how accurate you can be. I'll bet you could make DH quite jealous, with a little practice ;)

zamboni

I'm not really that big of a wine drinker, either.  The Napa place does have lots of hiking and stuff -- but if the weather is bad, the kids are not going to enjoy it... leaving them to hang out in a gravel RV area (and whining - perhaps while you WINE :))

Perhaps Neil's Vinyard would be a better place as there are lots of trees (ie, campground is nice if we have to stay there).  Being not far from the Outlets, the kids could be sent to a movie if weather is bad, etc.  It is only about an hour away for both of us, so would be a decent drive.

My wife has the week of 20-24 off, so I should be able to at least get the Monday off (already bounced it off my manager; it depends on our upcoming projects so we agreed to "play it by ear" - I wanted the entire week so we could paint the upstairs of the house).

As for the camper, hitching up is not too hard; if the campgrounds have electricty, why would you "light" the fridge? :)

We'd be happy to help set up, but we wouldn't be arriving anywhere until Friday evening, since the earliest we could leave Sac is 4:30 (when Kelly gets home from school).

Would anyone else want to camp in Feb???