News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Campground suggestion UC Davis

Started by Dee4j, Feb 10, 2008, 10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee4j

We are taking a long trip this summer and checking out colleges for Kevin. I'm trying to attached this to the Lopez trip (July 24th weekend). I'm hoping to go mid-July but if Kevin gets on the academic decathaon team we won't be able to head up until after Lopez.

Kevin is thinking about Stanford & UC Davis. Surfcampers gave me a suggestion that looks nice for the Stanford area but I haven't found one for Davis. I would like the drive from the campground to be no more than an hour (1 1/2 max). I plan on staying there a few days and taking in the local stuff too.Here is what I would like:

1. Full hookups..or at least W & E (too hot not to have A/C)
2. maybe a pool or playground, stuff to do for the kids
3. populated... no out in the boonies, no one around 'cause  it's  mid-week. (when I'm alone with the kids I swear Cujo is going to come and eat us or that Freddie Kruger is camping near me:yikes:   :screwy:  )

OC Campers

How about camp driveway at our house?   Unfortunately, we don't have a pool but the kids would be entertained.  

Camping options might be Coloma RV Resrot.  We haven't camped there but the pictures look really nice  Chris goes there every year for a 3 day school trip.  It is right on the American River but it will be hotter than H**L at that time of the year.  It is out near Placerville (Hwy 50).  

Another option is 49er Village in Plymouth.  It is further up in the hills but keep in mind anything near Sacramento will be 90-100 degrees during the day.

Jacqui

Dee4j

Quote from: OC CampersHow about camp driveway at our house?   Unfortunately, we don't have a pool but the kids would be entertained.  

Camping options might be Coloma RV Resrot.  We haven't camped there but the pictures look really nice  Chris goes there every year for a 3 day school trip.  It is right on the American River but it will be hotter than H**L at that time of the year.  It is out near Placerville (Hwy 50).  

Another option is 49er Village in Plymouth.  It is further up in the hills but keep in mind anything near Sacramento will be 90-100 degrees during the day.

Jacqui

hmmm..camp Driveway? that can always be fun, I'm sure the kids would find something to do...and we'll just have to break out the cactus coolers :!

I will check out the other places too and run it by the kids..maybe you guys could camp with us and I can get my friend Julie to join us.  Yes I know how Hot Sacrameno area can get :eyecrazy:

thanks for the help..I was starting to get worried that no one had responded

OC Campers

Quote from: Dee4jhmmm..camp Driveway? that can always be fun, I'm sure the kids would find something to do...and we'll just have to break out the cactus coolers :!

I will check out the other places too and run it by the kids..maybe you guys could camp with us and I can get my friend Julie to join us. Yes I know how Hot Sacrameno area can get :eyecrazy:

thanks for the help..I was starting to get worried that no one had responded
Camping sounds like fun but we still do not have a/c so it might be a tad bit uncomfortable.  We have wanted to try Coloma but just can't get a weekend to get away.  

Jacqui

Dee4j

Quote from: OC CampersCamping sounds like fun but we still do not have a/c so it might be a tad bit uncomfortable.  We have wanted to try Coloma but just can't get a weekend to get away.  

Jacqui

I mentioned to Kevin about camp driveway...He was very excited..we'll talk soon

OC Campers

Quote from: Dee4jI mentioned to Kevin about camp driveway...He was very excited..we'll talk soon
You got it!!

Dee4j

That's weird there isn't any camping stuff in that area or are my requirements too strict???

maybe no one camps in Nor Cal anymore??? :p

OC Campers

I know what you mean.  There isn't a lot of places to camp near that area.  Most people head up to the mountains.

All I can say is where ever you decide to camp you will want shade because it could be HOT.

Dee4j

Quote from: OC CampersI know what you mean.  There isn't a lot of places to camp near that area.  Most people head up to the mountains.

All I can say is where ever you decide to camp you will want shade because it could be HOT.

I know that, I'm not worried about heat..I can take it... :D

Calstate361

Hey, we are still around although we haven't posted in a while because we just got our trailer out of the shop YESTERDAY.  You may have read the problems we had in the other thread.   To make a long story short, we had to replace the roof and one of the front jack, plus some damage that Sal did when he hit stuff...UUUUGGGGHHH!!!  

There is a KOA just outside of Sacramento before going across the causeway toward Davis.  That would probably meet your needs and is probably the closest one to UC Davis.  You could also do a search for campgrounds around Lake Berryessa which is outside Winters.  The lake area one would be farther than the KOA.  I think the KOA would be about a half hour drive, if not less.

I pulled out my 2006 CA "Official RV Travel & Camping Guide" (free at Camping World) and here is what I found:

Sacramento West/Old Town KOA (the one mentioned above, in West Sacramento); (916) 371-6771, Res (800) KOA-2747

Capitol West RV & MH Park (West Sacramento); (916) 371-6671

Cal Expo RV Park( further away, about 1/2 hr more); (916) 263-3187 or (877) Cal-Expo; //www.calexpo.com

Canyon Creek Resort (not in the book above but is an ROD campground); (530) 795-4133; //www.vistaresorts.net.  This one is a lot harder and further (past UC Davis) to get to.

Hope this helps.

Joan

griffsdad

Quote from: OC CampersI know what you mean. There isn't a lot of places to camp near that area. Most people head up to the mountains.

We SCCampers know hot. We camped during Labor Day Weekend and it was 110 degrees in the shade.

OC Campers

It is that hot for about 6 weeks. Usually the end of July thru August. We still do not have a/c on the popup:(

Jacqui

Dee4j

Quote from: Calstate361Hey, we are still around although we haven't posted in a while because we just got our trailer out of the shop YESTERDAY.  You may have read the problems we had in the other thread.   To make a long story short, we had to replace the roof and one of the front jack, plus some damage that Sal did when he hit stuff...UUUUGGGGHHH!!!  

There is a KOA just outside of Sacramento before going across the causeway toward Davis.  That would probably meet your needs and is probably the closest one to UC Davis.  You could also do a search for campgrounds around Lake Berryessa which is outside Winters.  The lake area one would be farther than the KOA.  I think the KOA would be about a half hour drive, if not less.

I pulled out my 2006 CA "Official RV Travel & Camping Guide" (free at Camping World) and here is what I found:

Sacramento West/Old Town KOA (the one mentioned above, in West Sacramento); (916) 371-6771, Res (800) KOA-2747

Capitol West RV & MH Park (West Sacramento); (916) 371-6671

Cal Expo RV Park( further away, about 1/2 hr more); (916) 263-3187 or (877) Cal-Expo; //www.calexpo.com

Canyon Creek Resort (not in the book above but is an ROD campground); (530) 795-4133; //www.vistaresorts.net.  This one is a lot harder and further (past UC Davis) to get to.

Hope this helps.

Joan

Thanks Joan...I will check it out. it looks like Kevin most likely WILL be on the academic decathalon team, (he's been wanting to do this since he was 6 or 7 yrs old) He still has some things to do to qualify , but the biggest question was the conflict with Band, but he was told not a problem. This being so, my July is gone for "Summer camp".....back to the calendar :banghead:

griffsdad

Quote from: Dee4jKevin is thinking about Stanford & UC Davis. Surfcampers gave me a suggestion that looks nice for the Stanford area but I haven't found one for Davis. I would like the drive from the campground to be no more than an hour (1 1/2 max).
The campgrounds are so much better in BERKELEY than in Palo Alto or Davis. I'm a little concerned for Kevin.

Dee4j

Quote from: griffsdadThe campgrounds are so much better in BERKELEY than in Palo Alto or Davis. I'm a little concerned for Kevin.

whatchu talkin' about Willis  :confused:

actually I thought of it as more of  law college but it looks like it has a very extensive Biology dept. We may have to add that to the list :p

I think a lot will depend on what field of biology Kevin decides to go into. His list is too big right now.

Biology major chemistry minor
Biochemestry
nueroscience
nuerobiology
nuerologist
Veternarian
forensics

oh that's today's list...list will tend to vary with the direction of the wind :p