News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Vintage Popups>>

Started by Justadad1999, Mar 25, 2007, 06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skamper75

Its great to see people fixing and useing vintage camper of any kind. One of the things I enjoy about camping is see what other old campers are there, and see how they deck 'em out.  Last year we where around the bend of 2 old airsteam type campers,(one was an airstream) and one a mid '50,s apachi I think. How awsome, with the polished aluminum and long bullit like tail lights. Had to have been 28 ft long.  Probally rode my bike past it 20 times that weekend.

mikeswaggs

We are rolling in an '82 Coleman Shenandoah.  It also has been in the family for 25 years.  My wife's parents bought it new in '82.  It is in GREAT shape as my father in law is quite thorough, he even waterproofed the underside when it had to spend the winter outdoors (1 winter).  Every other winter it has been in the garage.  Even the canvas is looking new.  We love it now that we have a couple of kiddos and need to do the vacation thing on the cheap.  The only thing I am wanting to do this year is add an outdoor high pressure stove with brackets to the side.  Anyone with comments on that would be great!

natedog_74

We have an '80 starcraft starmaster. It is needing all new canvas and some wood replaced inside. Nothing major on the wood. I am trying to justify the cost of the new canvas to the DW. (she is wanting a hardside) I love the way the pop-up pulls though. Almost forget it is there most times.

ScouterMom

From what I've seen people do with some of these vintage PUP's, she can have anything she wants,(if you can do the mods) and you can keep the easy towing -

I also really like how easy it is to tow a PUP - it's like nothing!  and yet you can have all the comforts of home ( and then some!) and still feel like you're 'camping' by retaining the canvas walls.

I do have to say that I like the new hybrids, though - it is really appealing to me to have the 'top up' all the time to be able to go in and out.  But I don't think one would fit in my garage, anyway.

chrismarques

Shinobi
I don't know how close your Viking is to my model but if you have any questions or need info, feel free to contact me. Check the link below for many of my rebuild pictures. You'll see Viking didn't run out of that orange and brown plaid at least until they built mine!

Robbym70

As the title implies...see my other post in this forum for more info...

munchkin

We are the new owners of a 1982 Viking---fixer-upper. So, just under the wire, but we're vintage owners too.

losdinspace

I have not posted for a while but I have a 1970 Steury 800D. I have yet to use it other then sleeping in it out in the yard. I have seen it on other posts and have had only positive feedback about it.

kingdaddy

we have a 1970 starcraft starmaster 8. it is in good shape considering it is 37 years old. all foam and covers are in good shape, gas works, stove looks new, top is in good shape, pops up and down perfectly, water and electric work (electric has been updated). and considering we got all that for $150 i think we did pretty good. only thing i would like to do is replace the canvas. eventually i will put in new floor (maybe real or fake hardwood flooring) and reapint all the wood to brighten it up.

Trailman

Awesome! Its great to see a vintage tent trailer forum on the net at last, many thanks to Pop Up Times  :#  :!
I have 3 vintage campers.
1974 Apache Mesa solid state pop up.
1969 S.E.Woods Adventurer tent trailer.
1965 Apache Silver Eagle tent trailer.
Here is a pic my Apache Mesa on site last year.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/Dendrz/MtCarleton2.jpg

Trailman

Quote from: AustinBostonI found it!  It was a 1969 (not 1959) Wheel Camper.  Here is the thread (including pictures of an old '67 Wheel Camper):

http://www.arveeclub.com/showthread.php?t=57660

Looks like the owner hasn't posted since mid 2006.  Probably busy doing restoration work.

Austin
I remember that topic, all those tires  :-()

I think i got the oldest on here so far with my 65 Eagle, I still have to go collect it though.
Meantime my 69 Woods is winning as the oldest  :p  
I am sure someone will trounce that soon  :D

Latitude11

My husband and I just bought a 1977 Bethany in beautiful condition!

Nemesis56

Quote from: Justadad1999How many of ya'll folks own and use a "Vintage Popup"? Now keep in mind that I read the unit must be 25 years old to be classified as "vintage".

We own & use a 1982 Coleman "Redwood" PU.

What is the OLDEST PU being used to date in this group? How old is your PU?

Larry
Houston/Katy Texas

Ditto here Brother.  Got an '82 Redwood 7 and we love it.

Nemesis56

Quote from: skamper75Its great to see people fixing and useing vintage camper of any kind. One of the things I enjoy about camping is see what other old campers are there, and see how they deck 'em out.  Last year we where around the bend of 2 old airsteam type campers,(one was an airstream) and one a mid '50,s apachi I think. How awsome, with the polished aluminum and long bullit like tail lights. Had to have been 28 ft long.  Probally rode my bike past it 20 times that weekend.

Yep.  When we took our beauty out on it's maiden voyage, ('82 Redwood),  we had at least 3 couples ask us.." What year is that?"  When we told the them, they said  " Get the fork out.".. Showed them the manufactorer's placard, and they couldn't beleive it.  A liitle elbow grease, and spit and polish goes a long way.  We are just as proud as a whitewashed pig over ours.  

Those old Airstreams are built like a house.  We visited one when we were tenting and a thunderstorm rolled in.  It was like sitting in our living room.  No sway, no noise from the rain reverberating. It was beautiful!  Owners called it
 "The Roving Beer Can".

Steph

As of today, hubby and I are the proud owners of a 1971 Cox Cadet. Will post some pics as soon as I get it all shined up this weekend.