News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Vintage Popups>>

Started by Justadad1999, Mar 25, 2007, 06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unklmoose

I just got on here today but I own and use a 1948 Higgins tent trailer.  It was handed down to me by my parents I just keep it goin.  New canvas about 20 yrs ago and I have had to put on new lights.  From what i have been seeing in pics looks like someone has changed the tounge on her at sometime also but she's still a good little trailer.

Trailman

Quote from: unklmooseI just got on here today but I own and use a 1948 Higgins tent trailer.  It was handed down to me by my parents I just keep it goin.  New canvas about 20 yrs ago and I have had to put on new lights.  From what i have been seeing in pics looks like someone has changed the tounge on her at sometime also but she's still a good little trailer.
unklmoose, I think you have the award for the oldest trailer still in use  :#
You have a valuable trailer there and they can only gain more in value every year, I would love to see some photos.  
I found this pic of a 48 Higgins on the net, I think the tonque on it is the original, not sure if the paint is original most seemed to be blue.
Does it match your trailer?

CampCoxCadet

Here is my 1971 Cox Cadet.  It was born when I was born.  She is now 37 years old and was recently enjoyed in Maine.  She took the beating of the rain in Maine and driving through NY City did not bother her one bit.  We have been everywhere in this Camper over the years.

Oh and get this...In one of the pictures for the advertisement of this camper (I have the original), it had a big rifle on one of the beds inside.  I thought that was unique.

Deb n Jon

We own a 1954 Heilite that is in original condition except for a new mattress. We tow it behind our 1990 Westphalia camper van.

pistonslap

I have a 78 Rockwood that I thought was in better shape than it really is. After 2 trips in it (I was down 2 mos. with a hip replacement) I found out that the canvas was worse than I thought and the tires that looked very new came apart on the first trip. I replaced the wheel bearngs, races and seals, 2 new 10 ply tires, Replaced the complete wiring for tailights because I had a bad ground somewhere that I couldn't find. Also found out that my stablizer jacks are screwed up. When I hooked up to water at a campground the first time I found out that someone had cut open the fitting and taken the valve out that keeps the campground water from going into the holding tank. Still, for $300, I feel that I got a good deal. I spent $20 for a tarp, $4 for a grommet tool and $4 for some rope at Harbor Freight that will get my canvas through this season and the next while I save up for new. In the meantime, since it's old, I'm not afraid to rip and tear and put my remodeling skills to work. We were stuck in the trailer a lot  on a thunderstorm filled weekend and it gave us time to see what we really needed to keep and get rid of. The sink is too small to be of much use and the propane refrigerator is broken and the propane furnace works but is 30 yrs. old and I don't think I could sleep with it running, so they're all going to be gone. I intend to replace them with a couch that I will build with storage underneath and more electrical outlets. I already have a dorm fridge and I intend to replace the stove with a microwave and my coleman fluid stove. I have a small electric ceramic heater that kept the trailer nice and toasty on high 40's nights. All in all, I can't wait to get started.

sheains20

I have a 1969 Apache Ramada that will make its first camping trip in 20 years next weekend. I am sooo excited.
http://s318.photobucket.com/albums/mm417/sheains20/
yes I sewed that canvas all by myself.

miss kathy

I have a 1970 Starcraft Master 6 that I purchased last year for $495.00.  The trailer was owned by the same family for 37 years and was garaged.  The couple is 80 years young that sold me the trailer- I just spent a over 30 days camping in her since I got it - no leaks in the canvas when it rains, I have spent more money in buying things that what i spent on the trailer.  Have looked at newer ones and just can't seem to find one that feels as soild as this one- The way I put it is "She goes up and She goes down" and she's paid for.

Gracy

We have a 79 Bethany.  We have replaced it with all new canvas and to begin with it was really clean.... just had mold on the canvas we werent willing to risk having the kids stay in!

We are in the process of replacing stuff on it if its needed.  I love it... for the most part.... except I would really love to have some of the newer freatures like bigger beds... a potty and outside grill....... A/C..... stuff like that.  But again I keep telling myself it works for us!

herbcat13

Quote from: Justadad1999How many of ya'll folks own and use a "Vintage Popup"? Now keep in mind that I read the unit must be 25 years old to be classified as "vintage".

We own & use a 1982 Coleman "Redwood" PU.

What is the OLDEST PU being used to date in this group? How old is your PU?

Larry
Houston/Katy Texas

Some of our best friends gave us a 1974 Steury pop up camper a little over a year ago.  We love it!  It needs a few things but we've camped in it a few times and have used it in the yard during a birthday bash last summer.  Needs some new spring loaded arms to help lift it up and could use some new tires.  Canvas is in great shape for its age, other than a few places where the seams have come apart there are no rips, tears or holes anywhere.  The inside is near perfect condition.  Very 70's looking, of course, with its green and gold colors...the seat cushions still had plastic on some of them when we got it.  Stove top has NEVER been used not even by the original owners.  We have the original bill of sale and paperwork that came with it.  We hope to get the new arms and new tires soon then I'd like to go to work on getting some slip covers made for the cushions just to give a little update.  We will paint the outside "box" as well and replace some of the plumbing and connections.  Check out the pictures I took of her this spring...Thanks!!  I was really glad to find this forum on "vintage pop ups", I had hoped there were others out there like us who love their old pop ups and want to fix 'em up.  Enjoy!

To see pictures, please check out my MySpace page:  //www.myspace.com/herbcat13  or if you want to e-mail me I'll be happy to send them to you that way.  E-mail:  herbcat13@aol.com

maromeo

Herbcat,

You have the PU that I grew up with. My parents in MN owned a Stuery but our floorplan had the double dinette since there were six kids. We pulled it across the west with a 1972 Ford LTD. I have many great memories of the Stuery. It was a great camper. I still love to see people with them today.

Enjoy.

Mary Romeo

herbcat13

Quote from: maromeoHerbcat,

You have the PU that I grew up with. My parents in MN owned a Stuery but our floorplan had the double dinette since there were six kids. We pulled it across the west with a 1972 Ford LTD. I have many great memories of the Stuery. It was a great camper. I still love to see people with them today.

Enjoy.

Mary Romeo

Thanks for the reply!!  I realized AFTER I posted this that I put the wrong year model, it's actually a 1973 model, but still....glad to hear from folks who have enjoyed one.  I had never seen anyone else with one like it around where I live so it is just so nice to share wtih those who know about them.  You're right, it's a great floor model, so roomy...so much more than most of the new models these days.  Hard to think of parting with it for a new one!  Again, thank you.

jandmz

We have a 1966 Apache Buffalo Mesa.

When we started doing off road events a few years back, we found that sleeping on the ground wasn't really a problem, but getting up off the ground in the morning was.

I started looking for a camper that was light enough to pull with a Geo Tracker.  I found the Apache on eBay.  It had been sitting in the owner's back yard for 23 years (reckoning from the tags on it).  It took about seven months of work to get it to the point that we could take it camping.

We have been using it for five seasons.  It is a very basic unit.  It has two beds and a dinette, no electrical system (other than the running lights), no water system, and no gas system.   We end up packing just like we did for tent camping, but we get to sleep up off the ground.

stovieray

Hi.  I'm new here.  My project for this winter is to restore a 1957 Sears tent trailer that has been sitting in someone's garage for a few years now.  I will try to post pictures as it progresses and I hope I can ask for any advice from you all.  I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts and I look forward to being a member here.

Peace,

Mark (StovieRay)

Hey - just proofread (only a day or so later...) and it's a 1967.  I'm a '57.

cjtaylor

I have a 1977 Steury. This unit looks great just small problems that I have been working on. Removed the original ice box and replaced it with an electrical unit, added an AC unit since it will be used in Florida. Also added a roof vent other then these items it is ready for the road. [IMG] :U

Bigfoot1

Our family purchased a 1980 Coleman Gettysburg in 1990. Paint has faded in the Texas Sunshine, I replaced the canvas a couple years ago, 6K BTU A/C on tongue, new electrical system. Looks small behind my Suburban, but minimal wind resistance. I also have an Aircamper cartop tent built in Indianapolis. Great place to keep the kids overnight.