RE: " Wave n at da Beach" Nor-Cal Mini-Rally!

Started by otter, May 07, 2003, 01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ab Diver

Here it is, the Northern Chapter of Nick-Neff-Cough proudly presents the one, the only, (Ok, one of two) June Mini-Rally!

When :  Friday and Saturday nights, June 6th and 7th, 2003 (and Sunday morning, of course)

Where:  Cleone Campground
              24400 No. Hwy. 1
              Ft. Bragg, Ca. 95437
              707-964-4589
              http://www.cleonecampground.com/

RATES

$18.00 2 People (Tent Sites ? No Hook Ups)
 $21.00 2 People (Sites w/ Electricity & Water)
 $1.00 Each Additional Person
 $1.00 Per Dog
 $4.00 Extra Car or Pick-up
 $0.25 Shower (5 Minutes & Very Hot)
 6 People per Campsite ? If more than 6, an additional campsite must be taken.

I ve reserved sites 28, 29, 30, 31, & 35 (see map on campground web site). All the sites I reserved have electrical and water (E&W) hookups. I ll take site 30. If more folks want to join us, Linda (the nice lady on the phone) says 36(E&W), 23(E&W), 24(E&W), 25, 26, and 33(E&W) are available right now, although I don t think we ll need them.

The campground is next to MacKerricher State Park, and is few hundred yards from MacKerricher Beach. It s an easy walk to the beach, or you can drive to it. There is a great bike trail that runs along Ten Mile Beach, and starts at MacKerricher. It used to be the old logging road, and in times past carried much of the lumber cut from the old forests.

The historic Skunk Train runs one-way day trips from Ft. Bragg to Willits (Hwy. 101), or half-day trips from Ft. Bragg to Irmulco and back. It s a great scenic ride. (Ripley s Believe It or Leave It: Irmulco is one of the last places in America that still gets it s mail by <this> train)

Local things to do and see: The town of Mendocino (kept up and refurbished to look as it was 100 years ago), skin diving (can you say " abalone" ?), kayak and canoe rentals on Big River, the harbor at Ft. Bragg (GREAT clam chowder!), scenic Hwy. 1, the redwoods as you drive to Ft. Bragg (I like Hwy. 128 better than Hwy. 20), and " Bernillos" --- the best dang pizza this side of Chicago, with a crust hand-tossed right in front of you, and more toppings than your mouth can open wide for.

Weather: The coast can be cool in more ways than one. Summer temperatures are usually in the 60 s or low 70 s, occasionally warmer, but summer fog can drop that down to chilly 50 s quite often. It s hit or miss forecasting anything more than a couple days in advance. Bring warm clothes and swimsuit, and you ll be ready for anything.[;)]

Email me for any particulars and you site choice. I ll keep in close touch with " Linda" . The sites won t be charged to my card unless you don t show up, in which case I ll be charged for the first night. If you d like to send me a check, I can take care of the rest from my end.

Name choices... I thought about " Foam and Feathers" , but then I d have to hunt the local wild turkeys to have something to go with the abalone. " Surf and Turf"  has been done to exhaustion. " Wave n at da Beach"  just seemed to fit.

So, who s in?

Updated attendees list- 5/9/03:

Site 27: robucko
 Site 28: Red Neff Barchetta
 Site 29: Ca-girl
 Site 30: Ab Diver
 Site 31: Surfcal
 Site 33: champ521
 Site 35: Otter

Reserved for our group: sites 32 and 36

Reserved for us until May 19th (so they can let other folks use their campground if we don t need them by then): sites 23, 24, 25, and 26

More sites available... come join the fun!

otter

Ab Diver
QuoteSo, who s in?
Just sent this to Lon:  keeping my fingers crossed.

Red neff Barchetta

Ab DiverNice work Dave!
 How about we take either site 28 or 31 since we ve got a bathroom facility.  You pick which one.  This leaves the 2 remaining sites, 29 & 35, closest to the bathroom s free for toilet-less PU s.
 Thanks for all of the local info.
 I m kicking around the Skunk Train idea.  The boy s just might think we are on the Hogwart s Express headed to Harry Potter s school, ha.  Not sure I want to burn that much time away from everyone though.
 This should be fun!
 Is it windy along the coast in that area?  We ve got some pretty cool kites I can bring is why I ask.  Don t want to drag them along though if the chance for using them is small.

Confirm this for me if you will before I put a check in the mail to your address on the contact list;
 2 nights (6/6 & 6/7) with 3 people (no dog) = $44.00 right?
 Man I love camping prices!

Red neff Barchetta

Ab DiverStarting with font size 3 on our way to size 7;

31 days to go!

Red neff Barchetta

Ab Diver
Quote$0.25 Shower (5 Minutes & Very Hot)

Finally something I can use all those coins in my ashtray for!

Ab Diver

Red neff Barchetta
QuoteWhen : June 7-8, 2003
Quote2 nights (6/6 & 6/7)

Ok, when I talked to her, we were both talking about FRIDAY and Saturday nights. I think that was a typo when I posted last night, but let me call and confirm/correct that we have the 6th and 7th. I ll edit the post tonight after work.

Kites: Usually, there s a nice breeze a blowin on the ocean. I d give it a 90% chance that your kite will have a long and happy flight. [:D]

The Skunk Train is a certified " real treat" . Hey, we ll all be together again at the Gold Rush rally. Their web site is currently undergoing construction, but give them a call at 800-77-SKUNK (800-777-5865). Of course, you re home is close enough that a future trip on your own is feasible.

It nice to know someone else won a few games of " quarters"  ... back in the *old days*.[;)]

Surfcal

Ab Diver

QuoteORIGINAL:  Ab Diver

When : June 7-8, 2003 2 nights (6/6 & 6/7)

Kites: Usually, there s a nice breeze a blowin on the ocean. I d give it a 90% chance that your kite will have a long and happy flight.

" Like painted kites, those days & nights, they went flyin  by.
 The world was new, beneath the blue umbrella sky.
 And softer than a piper man, one day it called to you,
 I lost you to the Summer Wind."

Excerpt from Summer Wind, by Frank Sinatra

Sign me up sistuh.

Surfcal

P.S.

The Summer Wind came rolling in from across the sea.
 It lingered there to touch your hair and walk with me.
 All summer long we sang a song and then we strolled that golden sand.
 Two sweethearts and the Summer Wind.

SactoCampers

Cottonwooder

SactoCampers
QuoteYour rally is " official"  .
[image]http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/aktion/action-smiley-033.gif[/image]  You re the best!

Hybrid Holly

Ab DiverI might be in for this one.  We love this area.
 Who is all in?

otter

Ab Diverits a YES!
 Can you reserve us for THURSDAY, FRI, and SAT?  
 Sounds great.  Any spot is fine, we ar bathroom less-sort of: but I m not fond of being on top of the bathroom either.  So do with us what you may!

Let me know what I need to send$$$, to whom, etc.  
 otter

Red neff Barchetta

Ab DiverAlright!
 This is shaping up to have a pretty good turnout.
 We are excited!

Brian -
 You are a terrific webmaster!!  Very fast on the updates.  Nice work.
 I know she hasn t checked in on this thread yet, but CA-Girl is also going.  She and Dave are the driving force behind the interest stirring here.

Dave -
 I d rather forget " way back when" , but I got many a headache from " Quarter s"  and " Mexicali" .  Foggy memories, but I do remember we would call out " Ronnie Lott"  when a 42 was rolled.

Red neff Barchetta

SactoCampers

Red neff Barchetta
QuoteBrian -
 You are a terrific webmaster!!  Very fast on the updates.  Nice work.
 I know she hasn t checked in on this thread yet, but CA-Girl is also going.  She and Dave are the driving force behind the interest stirring here.

Thanks, I knew I was forgetting someone, but didn t want to sift through the other topic to find it.

But I m the Co-webmaster. I do some updates fast, but Nick does most of the serious features that I am not skilled enough to do.

Red neff Barchetta

Ab DiverYes, you and Mike are co-terrific webmaster s!
 Btw, maybe you are still adding Tania right now, but the attendance link for this rally isn t working.  Could just be me though.  That s what Amy would say, ha.