News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

RE: April Rally

Started by 6Quigs, Jan 22, 2003, 03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Though I de start this and move it off Chabot.

How about Lake San Antonio.  Its a little on the North side but look very nice.

http://www.co.monterey.ca.us/parks/sanantonio.htm

6Quigs

NickWe have camped at Lake San Antonio 3 or 4 times.
 Actually, our maiden trip in our Niagara was there. and we camped at the full hook up sites.
 We then found out we liked camping lakeside better.
 There s even a picture of us camping by the lake on our web page
 http://the6quigleys.tripod.com/camping/id2.html
 Sites are first come, first served basis, so whoever can get there early on Thursday can block out some lake frontage with their car and chairs to try to keep others away.
 There are no designates sites by the lake, just squeeze your trailer in wherever you can, though we have never had a problem getting somewhere.
 It can get hot and crowded during the summer, so we should be good in April.
 The lake is popular with boaters, so expect to be woken up at dawn by the sound of boats.
 Getting there is a 2 and a half hour drive for us.
 The last hour is on a 2 lane road, a bit twisty, and hilly.

Overall we love the place, and highly recommend it for a rally.

Hybrid Holly

Nickoops, just asked  bout Lake San Antonio on the other page.  I am camping there May 3-4 for the Wildflower Triathlon.  One mega-mega-mega-mega party!

Red neff Barchetta

NickUnfortunately, any April or May rallies will snap our rally streak.  Too much happening with family stuff and getting my giant conglomerate churning out the big dough, lol.  As it is, in March we ll be home for 2 days from spring training in AZ and then off to Snug Harbor.  Not that that s a bad thing though, ha.  After Snug Harbor, we re pretty booked until 49er Village in June.
 Have fun wherever you all go!!

otter

NickWe are up for an April pop-up for sure.  May is always tricky for us, but we will see when a date is set.  We have friends from NM who come to do the local pow wow s (Stanford & DeAnza)  Several Birthdya, Mother s Day...May gets wild at the Otter House.  
 I love the idea of  splitting the difference. for April.  Just let us know when and where.  
 But I relly want to go to spring training!!!  Next year let s plan the March Ralley in AZ!!!
 BRRRR WElcome back Ray.  I moved from New England with my first real paycheck to avoid these winters.  CA really is God s country.
 Go Raiders!!!.  Ka-Zoom.

otter

NickCom on all you expert campground picker-outters ...pick a spot and a weekend so I can get it on my calendar.  We skipped from March to June+July.  Too long in between pop-upping with everyone.  

Nick

NickI think Scott was going to take the lead on this one.

gsm x2

NickNeed some answers!

1.  Would the second weekend in April work for most people?  We don t want to interfer with Easter.

2.  Would San Luis Obispo work?  El Chorro Regional Park is a County Park there.  It is normally FIRST COME/FIRST SERVED, but groups can RESERVE.  Nice campground.  Small loops with sites surrounded by live oaks.  It s actually a little north of San Luis---northern people can turn right at Atascadero and come over the hills to Morro Bay.  http://www.slocountyparks.com/activities/el_chorro.htm

3.  Would King City work?  Really nice park with nothing to do in the town, but Pinnacles National Monument is close by.  Also a really unique camping area.  Almost all of the sites are pull-throughs.....done very nicely with shade and amenities. http://www.co.monterey.ca.us/parks/san_lorenzo.htm

Please let me know if you have a preference and I ll start Wagonmastering.

Scott

otter

NickGiddy-up   giddy up---  yipppeee.  Kazoooom
 The second weekend is April 11,12, 13  Right?  That would be good for us.  (unless Sadie gets a date over spring break).  By then we should have the camper in Santa Cruz; I wonder if we could wnder down the coast the whole way?  [:)]
 Either place works for us.  The Morro Bay place sounds really nice, but the King City would be a bit closer.  I ll put the dates on the calendar and add the place as it develops.  Easter is a family day in our family, so thanks for working around it.
 hugs

gsm x2
QuoteThis would be my choice because I know that it would really fit this group to a T.

Hey neighbor, which is your choice?  Can t tell which you re referring to.  After your opinions on Bodega Bay, surely whichever has reservations is better?  King City is so much further away from us, but boy, it looks beautiful!  Looks like it s worth the drive!  

And.... we now have something that will get us there and back with no problem.  Heck, this thing could pull 2 or 3 Cottonwoods!  [:)]

Cottonwooder

Guest:::sigh:::  Please bear with me as I get the hang of this new place.  Didn t realized I was logged on as " Guest" .  However, I don t think anyone else here can call the GSMs " neighbor,"  unless you re stretching community boundaries a tad, LOL!

Re. King City, it s further away from Ventura, but I d rather drive that nice, FAST, scenic drive than spend nearly the same time on that narrow, twisty, not-so-nice drive in to Lake San Antonio. [: (]

Surfcal

NickI ll go in April.  April showers bring May flowers.

Oh, don t mind me, it s just another one of my jibberish diatribes.

Surfcal

gsm x2

NickDoing the comparisons:

Both campgrounds are very nice with either full hookups or water/electric. San Lorenzo probably wins by a nose in this catagory.

Distance--well depends on if your coming from the north or the south.  88 miles difference one way or the other.

Surrounding Area:  El Chorro wins out with things to do at the campground and surrounding area.  Wine tasting, Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo, and a park and botanical gardens on site.  San Lorenzo does have a Ranch Museum on site and Pinnacles nearby.

My choice would be whichever one we can get more people to.

Hey Patricia---sorry I didn t spend more time with you at Vons.  Had my head all set on getting home for the Super Boring Bowl.  Should have stayed and chatted.  What tow vehicle did you get?

gsm x2

The Memory Maker

NickScott-
 count us as a 100% maybe!
 There are a few things that we need to clear up before we can give you a clear answer.
 As for which one, I prefer El Charro. The close proximity of the Ocean wins out over the hot, dry area around the Pinnacles.
 Scott

Nick

NickWell, my family was planning a campout that weekend at San Lorenzo anyway so I guess I would have to vote for that place.