News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

RE: General coughing and rousing

Started by 6Quigs, Jan 22, 2003, 08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red neff Barchetta

oldmooseBoy do I hear you Dave!  3 of us here (& Amy s not one of them) are a regular drug factory with liquids, pills, sprays, & constant washing of the hands and face.  Gets old after awhile.  At $20.00 a prescription it gets damn expensive too!

And to think I almost bought (in the pollen-dormant winter time) into a friend s landscaping business when I was 19, lol!  Also, every time I talk to him it seems like he has poison oak.

otter

oldmooseDaarnnnnnnnnnnnnn!  Holly I missed again!.  Next time you are on tell me in advance.  I watch so little tv athat I have to write my self notes to watch.  Unless you are in the middle of Giants or A s game that is!

BTW:  I like the word (s)..y all.  It is perfect in many circumstances when nothing else sounds right!
 As for allergies: with my asthma it is hard to tell.  For the last 3 weeks(the rain I think)  I have been feeling so well; and then the last few days ( the wind I think) I m a mess again.  
 Oh well, I have to have something to complain about inmy otherwise great world.

gsm x2

Cottonwooder
QuoteGs, re. El Chorro, are you actually going camping on your own, without a rally? When s the last time you did that??? Have fun!

We haven t been camping on our own since the first rally at Bodega Bay in June 2002.  And actually, this wasn t really on our own.  We arranged to meet another NNC couple there.  She called her sister, who also showed up. Then Friday morning Ray called and we let him know where we were.  By 3:30 p.m., not a.m., he was at El Chorro also.  So, it may well be Septemer 2003, over one year and two months, before we actually camp ALONE.  Not sure we will know how to do it without all the support and culinary skills of NNC and SCC folks.

gsm x2

griffsmom

oldmooseThis weekend was the first time we camped alone since last Thanksgiving. In some ways, it felt a little lonely around the campfire, and yet in other ways, it felt much more unstructured and slower paced.  The German language has a perfect word for how it felt: " langsam,"  which means slow, yet in a langorous way.  [:)]

But maybe that s just because we weren t dodging raindrops for a change![;)]

SactoCampers

oldmooseSince we had nothing else to do yesterday, I talked Mrs. Sacto into going to an RV dealership to look at hybrids. Not that we intend to buy one anytime soon (nor are we in a position to do so [&:]), but to show her why they appealed to me. We went to the only Palomino dealer in the Sac area and I wanted to look at the 17  model (2600 lbs as equipped on the lot ) and the 21  model with a slideout in case we ever got a more capable tow vehicle.

So we get in the car and Sactotoddler decides to take a nap on the way over. We arrive and then wait a half-hour until finally waking her up. She wasn t real pleased about that [&:][;)]. They had the 17  model I wanted to look and the 21  but it wasn t set up. I like the 17-footer because Palomino is the only maker that puts the door in front of the axle, meaning it s easier to get to the horseshoe dinette without having to squeeze past whoever might be cooking. Full bathroom with dry shower/tub, large fridge, bigger sink, ducted heating, tasteful interior (by contrast there was a used Jayco 17A whose fabric left something to be desired), and a nice storage area in the front. The hybrid was nice and light inside too, plenty of sunshine, still felt like " camping"  plus a few more conveniences. Okay, I can see myself in this thing <frantically doing calculations in my head 2600 plus about 350 lbs of additional " stuff" , 8000 GCWR minus 4300 minivan weight minus 2950 minus 400 " extra"  = pretty darn close to max capacity but maybe doable. Test tow woud definitely be required>. Maybe someday we both say. I explain to Mrs. Sacto the virture of the horseshoe dinette and how we would take it out and put it under the awning....how it would be easier to set up, how we could put food in the fridge before leaving, how I wouldn t have to set up the grey water system, how we could stop and have lunch inside or use the bathroom instead of stopping somewhere, how we can pack all of our stuff in the trailer instead of in sterlite buckets and drawers in the car then transferring into the popup, how I wouldn t have to set up the door, how we could give Megan and her future sibling a real bath rather than a shower/rinse.... Okay, I think I m making headway. No dice. Mrs. Sacto ain t buying it cause she doesn t have to do the work anyway. So then I think to myself, " why don t I just get over it."  It s just a little work. No big deal. Camping isn t supposed to be easy. But oh, how nice it would be, you know, the shorter/easier set up and break down routine. I ve always said, when I start thinking about a hybrid to instead think about how much nicer a popup is compared to tent camping. That s usually comforting, but when you see something you really like, the temptation starts to anchor into your belly and it s all you can think about. You know, the feeling of anticipation of how much more fun it could be. Maybe it s just because I haven t been camping since January, but the packing and unpacking (especially considering all that Mrs. Sacto brings) creates a psychological barrier that I wish didn t exist. So alas, it wasn t to be.....maybe someday though.

But this isn t only a tale about my epic philosophical struggle of hybrid versus popup. No, this is also a story about a cheesy salesman. We leisurely look at the hybrid asking a few questions here and there, he chimes in with a non-sequiter: " I have a customer right now, out to lunch, who s going to come back because I have the best product and best prices."  We ignore him, not knowing from where that statement came. Then I ask him where the weight sticker on the hybrid was located, because it usually provides the weight as equpped with options (I knew the dry weight without options was around 2300 lbs.). Rather than tell me where it is located, he tried to tell me the hybrid weighed 1700 lbs! I said you re mistaken because I know it weighs at least 2300 lbs. He got defensive and tried to correct me but I remained firm. This is not a good sign....that the salesman doesn t know his product (big surprise). I finally locate the weight sticker on the cabinet door beneath the stove: 2600 lbs. This included awning and AC but no oven or stereo. As we re walking out, out of curiosity I see a tag on the grab handle and it says $15,900!! I confirm this price and he says, " but I can sell it to you for $14,800."  Oh, thanks buddy. Don t do me any favors. This thing should be closer to $12k not $15k.

I guess the final straw was that we noticed his sales operation was conducted out of a mobile home. This is a bad sign and I made this mistake once with our Tracker. When they operate out of a mobile home it tells me they are not a long-term, highly reputable and/or stable dealer. And our last dealer was a crook, so I don t think I ll take any chances in the future with those who don t have a permanent dwelling on their lot.

But I did like that hybrid. [;)]

Cottonwooder

SactoCampers
Quotebut when you see something you really like, the temptation starts to anchor into your belly and it s all you can think about. You know, the feeling of anticipation of how much more fun it could be.

Oh Sacto, boy, do we know that feeling.  I ve had it since January, when we chose our future beloved.  It hit Mike last month, when the timing suddenly became a lot more " present"  than " future"  and it became more real to him.  Since it was ordered three weeks ago, he s having a harder time waiting for it than I am, LOL!

We love our U-shaped couch, but it blocks the big bed.  The smaller bed is TOTALLY blocked by the dinette and table.  Argh, we ve come to hate that table, constantly in the way of everything!  I m tired of not being able to reach for things without having to move or fold down something else first.  Cottonwood will always be special to us, but boy, are we ready to move on!

Now, who said camping is " supposed to be difficult" ? [;)]

BTW, run, don t walk, from the suspicious salesman.  The dealership here in Ventura has been absolutely wonderful with us.   You ll know when you re treated right.  Good luck! [:)]

SactoCampers

Cottonwooder
QuoteWe love our U-shaped couch, but it blocks the big bed.

Yeah, it does on this 17-foot hybrid too, but I ve got to look at the advantages compared to a side dinette on a hybrid this size (e.g. Bantam 817B), particularly the fact that there is much more seating space and all the seats would face the direction of the TV for the times when that is necessary. There are a couple other nice things about the u-dinette that I think I could tolerate climbing over it. But I hear you, because one reason we bought our Tracker was so we wouldn t have to climb over anything to get into/out of bed. In the popup, it s a good idea, because we don t always set up the awning (actually, very rarely), so I wouldn t want to leave it outside. In that case, climbing into and out of the front bunk would really suck (the Starcraft Venture had the front u-dinette and we were considering that one). But in the hybrid, the additional seating space, combined with the fact that with a real awning, we would set the awning up every time and put the table outside, that it wouldn t get in the way during the day. Of course we would have to climb over it when children are sleeping there, but I could deal with it for the advantages gained.

QuoteNow, who said camping is " supposed to be difficult" ?  

Hey! you turned my words around![;)][8D]. I said camping isn t supposed to be *easy*, not that it was supposed to be *difficult*. The truth lies somewhere in between! [;)][;)][8D]  Right?????[&:][&:][:D] What happens for me (and this is from my experience traveling around the West for our honeymoon in my parents triple slide 5th-wheel) is that when it becomes *too* easy, for me it becomes RVing and not camping. I didn t like RVing that much (though it was great for the honeymoon), but I do like camping. I think this hybrid is the perfect compromise....but then again I thought the popup was the perfect compromise.[&:][8D]

Surfcal

oldmooseSacto:

I know someone that s interested in acquiring a pop-up for a good price.  Let me know.  If you can sell it, you re that much closer to buying your hybrid.

Surfcal

SactoCampers

Surfcal
QuoteORIGINAL:  Surfcal

Sacto:

I know someone that s interested in acquiring a pop-up for a good price.  Let me know.  If you can sell it, you re that much closer to buying your hybrid.

Surfcal

I think we re holding onto ours for a few more years. I was just in dreamland yesterday. It s actually Mrs. Sacto s fault, because she let me go look. Besides, that " good price"  thing is a deal-breaker [;)][8D].

Cottonwooder

SactoCampers
QuoteHey! you turned my words around! . when it becomes *too* easy, for me it becomes RVing and not camping.

Yes, I realized the misquote after I hit the OK button, but lack the Sacto editing gene. [;)]  

Also realized after my first -- and only -- experience of dry camping, that I m an RVer, not a camper.  Mike is getting more mellow in his old age too, and is happy to RV.  When the need for canvas hits, he and Rebec will take their tent and go.  They are already planning an overnight at Cachuma, right by the lake, and perhaps also Big Sur.  They bought a big tent just this past weekend!

See you in your new hybrid at Gold Rush.  [;)][8D]

SactoCampers

Cottonwooder
QuoteSee you in your new hybrid at Gold Rush.  

You mean you ll see me " dreaming"  of a new hybrid at Gold Rush! Actually, you will see me in my trusty 1999 Tracker Trailstar 12SC. And remember to get a REAL good look at it because you will probably never see one again!

But on the bright side, Mrs. Sacto said if we win the lottery I can get any hybrid I want. So I guess I ll need to start playing the lottery.

SactoCampers

oldmooseJeff,

I read on another thread that you use 10lb barbell weights to hold the awning poles. As you know, we re going to the beach this weekend where it can get breezy. I was wondering how the barbells keep the poles from lifting up out of a breeze(?). I may end up staking it down for this trip. Normally I just let the tension pole hold it up, but it can get windy on the beach.

Cottonwooder

SactoCampersSomething occurred to me... you mean to say that Mrs. Sacto doesn t drool over beautiful/convenient RVs?  Wow!  Has she seen Buff s TrailManor?  Heck, it looks beautiful just in the ads I ve seen.  Would love to see one for real.  Buff, may I at Gold Rush?

SactoCampers

Cottonwooder
QuoteSomething occurred to me... you mean to say that Mrs. Sacto doesn t drool over beautiful/convenient RVs? Wow!

Oh she does, and she likes her conveniences (heat turned to 70 degrees, shower and cassette potty, hot water) and would like it easier too. But then again, the convenience advantages of a hybrid over a popup are lost on her,  cause I pretty much do all the setup, filling the freshwater tank, emptying grey water tanks, batteries, propane, cassette potty, etc. We would also have to pay for storage....unless we found a Bantam garage model. She just doesn t think we can afford it right now....and she s right. Other than that, I think she really likes it. Once the second kid rolls around, I think she ll be more receptive.

When we had our F-150, our dream was a popup cabover camper and ski-boat. Then it was a little 5th wheel with small slideout. Now it s a hybrid. We tend to go all over the map. The only thing we ve acted on is the popup.

Cottonwooder

SactoCampers
QuoteShe just doesn t think we can afford it right now....and she s right.

If you own your home, could you refinance (or get a home equity loan) and get a killer deal with today s skyrocketing house prices and plummeting interest rates?  That s what we did.  Somehow, through the mysterious world of financing (of which I know nothing), we re able to enlarge Rebec s room to accommodate both girls AND get this new trailer while maintaining the same monthly payments we ve always had.  :::shrugging:::  Glad Mike understands all of this, because I sure don t.