News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Russian River 1

Started by calstate360, Aug 07, 2007, 07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwenzilla

Glad to hear the young one's doing better.  If you're going to Felton you should get over to Roaring Camp and ride the steam locomotive.  We did the ride up into the forest and loved it.  But I am a train buff.
Check out:

http://www.roaringcamp.com/

Quote from: teleskiermomGood pictures George!! Liam is doing much better and we hope to go camping in Felton this weekend. Let Johnny know how much we owe ya. Sorry the boys didn't get into any trouble this weekend maybe next time. Thanks again,
Ginger

harleywolf

Thanks for the pics guys! Seeing how I forgot our camera

TheViking

i'm sorry but I gotta know...How did a tree branch get stuck through the roof of your 5ver?

calstate360

Ok here is the deal. I hit a tree pulling into the loop due to a narrow road with a fence on one side and the tree on the other. The tree jumped out and hit the side of the 5er at the top edge where it curves into the rubber membrane. This part of the tree was about 6ft around, it was a big tree and would have been fine for a shorter rig like a hybred. Since our 5er is soo tall it got hit. The vent for the frige is on the same side and hit a normal small sized branch. This one ripped off the top of the vent and bent it to heck. Then it fell off the tree and landed next to the vent and the top of the awning. So driving down the road it looked like it was sticking out of the roof. The end result being the TV antenna will spin around without the crank, the fridge vent will have to be totally replaced, the rubber part of the roof will have to be compleatly replaced, and there is a hole in the aluminum part of the roof that will need to be repaired or replaced. And the awning is tweaked to heck.
The only good thing is we changed insurance companys a few months ago and the deductable for full covarage is only $125 instead of the $500 that it used to be. Sometimes I wonder if I was really ment to own a 5er.:confused:
Sal

Quote from: TheVikingi'm sorry but I gotta know...How did a tree branch get stuck through the roof of your 5ver?

TheViking

I understand where you are coming from.  Our Toy Hauler is quite a bit taller than our old TT, so I have to really pay attention to heights now.  Hope everything works out for you.

harleywolf

zamboni

As Rick said... this is a curve going up a slight hill.  The curve goes to the right (passenger side).  In addition... the road itself is BANKED (up the "uphill" way").

Thus, the driver side is higher than the passenger side.

NOTE: (and this is CRITICAL) - this only happens if you go BACKWARDS into the camp area... and with these few spots, you are required to go backwards through the loop so you can pass your spot and then back your rig into your spot.  We had to do the same, but our hybrid is nowhere near as large as a 5-er.

Anyhow, as you climb the hill and turn on the curve to the right, at that moment, you also BANK and LEAN to the right... this pushes the top of a 5-er INTO the huge, freaking tree.  Sure, it is a nice & large & very old tree, but that darn limb that arcs out over the road, is at the nasty height of the 5-ers (but not the lowly hybrids like us).

Even with the cones on the "road", you can still die, because it is hard to tell that this road will bank your 5-er that much into the tree that seems so high up that it is irrelevant.

My vote, after seeing the damage to other rigs... is a nice, huge, bonfire.  Bye-Bye Murdering Tree!

harleywolf

Just to clarify when Glen says backwards thru the loop he doesn