RE: Delta Rally - Snug Harbor - March 21 - 23

Started by gsm x2, Jan 07, 2003, 11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Civil_War_Buff

Civil_War_BuffHey Holly,

Neff said there were going to be hay rides or pony rides at Snug Harbor, is that true?  Or was that him just using his big, er I mean HUGE mouth to tell me lies and get my hopes up?

What time does the mud wrestling start? Is it a HIGH tide?

Hybrid Holly

Civil_War_BuffSorry, it was Sturgeon Rides!  That is at high tide....mud wrestling at low tide!

SCCS

Civil_War_Buff
 Hey everyone,                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Just posted some pictures of our new vehicle. Click on link below.We will be bringing some thin cut tri-tip and rolls.We have an inflateable boat we will bring to.

Civil_War_Buff

SCCS

QuoteORIGINAL:  SCCS

Hey everyone,                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Just posted some pictures of our new vehicle. Click on link below.We will be bringing some thin cut tri-tip and rolls.We have an inflateable boat we will bring to.

The new truck looks GREAT! I wish you many happy campin  years with it and the Niagara will probably tow like dream behind it too!!

Red neff Barchetta

Civil_War_BuffMystery Guest - That was beautiful!  Debbie Harry was wild.  Her & Pat Benatar were my " girlfriends" .

You gotta show me that fancy fold-down 3rd. row seat Scott!

CWB - You get the donkey ride Mr. Man!

Red neff Barchetta

Civil_War_BuffBtw Holly -
 I noticed how you made your morning duties as host a little easier for yourself.  You put Kevin & I in the same site so you won t have to travel too far delivering our newspaper s, hand-picked M&M s, and embroidered septic-safe RV toilet paper with the open end folded into a swan.  Looking forward to your hospitality!

gsm x2

QuoteHeight of tides are on the web page.....for interpretation see the designated Harbor Master!

Tides are measured in feet.  The designation of ZERO TIDE changes slightly year-to-year because is the measurement of the Mean Lower Low (MLL) tide.

In more simple terms, assuming that there are two low tides every day, they take the lower of the two low tides for every day of the year, add them together, then devide by 365.  Whatever the number is, they call that ZERO tide and all measurements are in relation to that tide.  So a 4.5 tide is 4.5 feet above 0 tide.

Minus 1.2 tide would be 1.2 feet lower than zero tide.

Tides most often appear in this format in tide books. The two high tides are listed first, the two low tides are listed second

..................High.............High................Low...............Low
 Tue 11....09:27a 3.4......******..........04:14a 1.4.....05:58p 0.3  

Wed 12...01:10a 2.6.....10:32a 3.5......05:45a 1.5.....*********

Thu 13....01:57a 2.8.....11:39a 3.6......06:59a 1.4.....07:56p 0.0

Note:  They are not listed by what comes first.  The best way to read the tide book is to find the earliest tide of the day, that s the first one, the second one will be the first in the opposite column.  For example, the first tide in Snug Harbor tomorrow ill be a low tide at 04.14a of 1.4 feet.  It then starts to rise and is at its HIGH TIDE mark at 09:27a of 3.4 feet.  It then drops down to a LOW TIDE at 05:58p at 0.3 feet.  It then starts to rise again, but doesn t get to it HIGH TIDE point until 01:10a 2.6.  This is unusual because it only drops about a foot and does that at 05:45a 1.5 feet.  Then it raises two feet by 10:32a 3.5 (Three AM tides and no PM tides.  Very peculiar.  Must be a half moon.  It is.  Tide changes are much more drastic during full and new moons because the sun, moon and the third force that affects the tide are all in alignment with each other, thus working together to pull the water UP away from the earth...a HIGH TIDE.  LOW TIDE is the depression in the water to accound for the upswell of the high tide.

Off topic enough for this group????

Oh, bonus point to the first person other than G-Whiz that can identify the PREDICTABLE third componant that affects the tides.  The gravitational pull of the Moon and Sun are the first two.  What is the third...and it isn t WIND, which although it affects tide, it isn t predictable.

gsm x2

Red neff Barchetta

Civil_War_BuffScott - That hurts my brain!  You and Brian live for stuff like that don t you?  You 2 and Amy would have a barrel of laughs around the campfire talking about nuclear reactor cores (her current class topic) and such light-hearted fodder.
 I am going to return to drooling now.  Uuuhhhhh................  1 plus a teddy bear equals uh,

Cottonwooder

gsm x2
QuoteThe best way to read the tide book is to...

Not read it at all?  Have the book-on-cassette playing to cure your insomnia?

TOS, I have no idea what your job is.  What exactly is it that you do which requires this fascination with tides and boat noise levels and heaven only knows what else!?!??

6Quigs

Civil_War_Buff
QuoteFriday
 High tides 6:10 AM 7:05 PM
 Low tide 12:36 AM 1:23 PM

Thanks Holly.
 Everytime I went to that site, it only gave the tide info for the current week.
 If low Tide is at 1.23pm, high tide at 7.05pm, and we plan on arriving between 4 and 5, then we will be arriving as the tide is rising, which is perfect.
 Sunday morning, leaving will be different, but what the heck, As long as we havent eaten all the food, we should be lighter!!!

Saturday. Low tide 2.21pm. Naked Ladies Mud Wrestling starts.[:(]

TOS,
  Thanks for the Tide Information, but one
 " New and Improved "  is enough for this weekend[:D]

Hybrid Holly

Civil_War_Buff
QuoteBtw Holly -
 I noticed how you made your morning duties as host a little easier for yourself. You put Kevin & I in the same site so you won t have to travel too far delivering our newspaper s, hand-picked M&M s, and embroidered septic-safe RV toilet paper with the open end folded into a swan. Looking forward to your hospitality!

Do you want 1 or 2 shots  in your cappuccinos (of espresso, that is)?

QuoteTides are measured in feet. The designation of ZERO TIDE changes slightly year-to-year because is the measurement of the Mean Lower Low (MLL) tide.

hmmm...thanks for all of that information Scott, I knew you were the one to ask!

QuoteOh, bonus point to the first person other than G-Whiz that can identify the PREDICTABLE third componant that affects the tides. The gravitational pull of the Moon and Sun are the first two. What is the third...and it isn t WIND, which although it affects tide, it isn t predictable.

How about water depth, or what the sea floor is made of...topography...I guess...I took an oceanography class about 20 years ago, but that is all I remember....
 Unless the predictable factor is how many NCCers are on dangling their feet off the docks at Snug Harbor, causing the tide to rush in (or out?)

Finally, good news!  We have one more for the " party at the snug" .  Ralph is in!

Surfcal

gsm x2

QuoteORIGINAL:  gsm x2

Oh, bonus point to the first person other than G-Whiz that can identify the PREDICTABLE third componant that affects the tides.  The gravitational pull of the Moon and Sun are the first two.  What is the third...and it isn t WIND, which although it affects tide, it isn t predictable.

gsm x2

Could it be the season?

Surfcal

6Quigs

Hybrid Holly
QuoteDo you want 1 or 2 shots in your cappuccinos
I ll take two, Mrs. Quigs will have just the one.

6Quigs

Civil_War_Buff
QuoteWhat is the third
That would have to be the centrifugal force of the earth spinning.

Civil_War_Buff

Hybrid Holly

QuoteORIGINAL:  Hybrid Holly

Finally, good news!  We have one more for the " party at the snug" .  Ralph is in!

WHO IS RALPH????????[&:]