"Call Of The Wild" NON-rally join if you like w/e, April 16 - 18

Started by Red neff Barchetta, Jan 31, 2004, 07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red neff Barchetta

We have a reservation for 2 nights at Sugarloaf Ridge SP (reserveamerica.com) which is between Santa Rosa & Kenwood off of Hwy. 12.
We are arriving on Friday, April 16 and departing on Sunday, April 18.
Total cost was $31.50.
They are non-specific reservations.  Choose a site upon arrival.
Be sure to state that your trailer is only 24 feet long (hey, mine is only 19' (when closed :D )).
This is DRY CAMPING (with NO hook-up's) so I thought I better mention that.
There are plenty of communal water spigots and there are flush toilets (no showers).  The camp host has firewood for sale ($5.00 a bundle IIRC).  I will have a box of kindling at my site that everyone is welcome to take from.
Bring lanterns & flashlights as this is a SP, not an RV Park (Wait until you see all of the stars!).
I can bring my generator & battery charger if it makes anyone feel more comfortable regarding power.
This is a beautiful SP great for hanging out or doing some terrific hiking.  There should still be some water in the creek that runs past some of the sites in mid-April.
The site loops are a terrific place to ride bikes around and keep the kids in view.  Also, there is a giant field/meadow in the center of the largest site loop with no sites in the center.  Great place for playing ball, stomp rockets, frisbee, etc...
Dogs are fine, but they are not allowed on the hiking trails.  (But horses are!  What's up with that?!  They drop bigger bombs than dogs do, lol.)
There is an observatory and it will be open Saturday night if that interests you;
http://www.rfo.org
Our friend is a docent with the observatory so we would get our own personal star guide if she works that night.
Jack London lived nearby in Glen Ellen and used to ride up to Sugar Loaf regularly.  You can visit his home and park.  There are also a lot of wineries in the area.
The SP (& cg) is simple to get to;
From Hwy. 12, turn (left if coming from Santa Rosa or right if coming from Kenwood/Sonoma) onto Adobe Canyon Rd. & follow this for a little under 4 miles until you reach the ranger/check-in station.
*The final 1 1/2 miles (+/-) is up a very steep grade as you climb the mountain, but levels off right before you approach the ranger/check-in station.
At the corner of Hwy. 12 & Adobe Canyon Rd. is a great mexican restaurant called "Vineyards Inn" (where we have been known to cheat & have dinner at while camping at Sugarloaf   ;) ).
The phone # for the ranger/check-in station is (707) 833-5712.  *This is NOT the reservation phone # btw.
We love this SP, and not only because it is close to our home.  There is also a Safeway (9 miles) nearby also.
Just thought I'd mention it if anyone is interested.
We'd love to have you join us!
Last note;
I will be arriving on Friday about 11:00 in the morning, so if anyone joins us you should send me your reservation info. so I can grab you a site next to or near us.  The rangers are very cool here (usually).

If I am gone or busy when you arrive;
On my LP tanks will be a white plastic hose (used for a dishwasher) about 4' (+/-) long that you can grab as you drive around the cg loop.  Pull up to a cg water spigot (that is on the driver's side of your trailer) and fill up your fresh water tank using this hose.  Most of the spigots at the cg are NOT threaded so the rubber end on one end of this hose slips right onto the spigot nicely.  Please replace the hose on top of my LP tanks when you are finished with it so the next arrival can use it.  This way you can start with a full tank of fresh water before you un-hitch.   :)

Lists (for Ray) -

Don't forget;
- to fill your WH at home (this is 6 gallons you won't have to fill at the cg)
*don't do the above if your WH is behind your trailer's axle*
- fully charged battery(ies)
- charger (if you have one)
- full propane tank(s)
- grey water tote
- fresh water tote
- flashlights & lanterns
- allergy medicine if you are an allergy sufferer

Attendee's;
9 1/2 PU's
&
2 Hybrid's

*11 on Friday & 12 on Saturday

6Quigs

Quote from: Red neff BarchettaWe have a reservation for 2 nights at Sugar Loaf Ridge SP (reserveamerica.com) which is between Santa Rosa & Kenwood off of Hwy. 12.

Actually Jeff,
on reserve america it is called Sugarloaf Ridge SP.
They couldn't find a Sugar Loaf Ridge SP in California :confused:
And the maximum trailer length is only 24 feet :eek:
O.K. we are a 22BH so as long as we don't tell them we are a Hybrid we should be fine.
Not so sure about our crew cab truck, as it is a bit long also. At Chabot I had to park the truck at 90 degrees just to keep it from blocking the road.
Anyways, I'll be e-mailing you our reservation number.

Red neff Barchetta

Great Kevin!
I got your e-mail/res. # too!
Glad you can make it!!   :)

I made the changes above.

Red neff Barchetta

Btw, the sites are nice and large (well, most of them).  Plenty of room for your entire rig.

Surfcal

To all:

I have personally camped at this state park a couple of times and it is pretty nice.  If you are into hiking, this state park has a lot of great trails and the paths lead you to some pretty spectacular high vistas.

It is also known for its dark skies and reputed as a great big sky view for stargazing in backyard astronomy circles.

It is right above, perhaps 3 miles away, some small towns in Sonoma County the home to small and fine wineries for wine tasting.  That area is what Napa must have been like about 20 years ago, unpolished and unpretentious.

If you book the sites on the north side of the loop, you'll have a better chance of getting the sun during the day.  The sites on the south side of the park is a bit dark.

Just my two cents.

Surfcal

SCCS

Jeff,
 Just made the reservation. I will send you the info shortly. :W

SCCS

Jeff, I tried to send you an e-mail but it says you have them blocked. Now how is someone suppose to send you something?

Red neff Barchetta

SCCS/Scott -
Alright!
Glad you've joined up with this crazy crew.
This will be fun.   :)

Btw, I'll e-mail you in a few minutes.  I have no idea why my e-mail through PUT doesn't work.  Weird.   :(

Red neff Barchetta

Just a reminder -
If anyone wants me to bring my generator (& charger) along just say the word.  Otherwise it will stay at home (although it's not like I'd have far to go to get it).
I'll have my 3 batteries (2 - 24's & 1 - 27) with me.

Red neff Barchetta

SCCS/Scott -
Did you get my direct e-mail from last night?
I got yours you sent me through PUX this morning so I now have your confirmation/reservation #.

zymomyz

Quote from: Red neff Barchetta...If anyone wants me to bring my generator ...

Jeff,

What kind of generator do you have ? Is it practical ?

I'm seriously thinking about coming, but it would be just me as Anne is busy or something. I wouldn't need you to bring the generator as I have 2 group 27s fully charged and ready to go  ;) . I am just curious about the generator because as we go on longer dry camps this summer it seems perhaps a generator might be a good investment. I have looked at the Honda EU2000i, but they are pricey !!

Surfcal

Quote from: zymomyzJeff,

What kind of generator do you have ? Is it practical ?

I'm seriously thinking about coming, but it would be just me as Anne is busy or something. I wouldn't need you to bring the generator as I have 2 group 27s fully charged and ready to go  ;) . I am just curious about the generator because as we go on longer dry camps this summer it seems perhaps a generator might be a good investment. I have looked at the Honda EU2000i, but they are pricey !!

Hello Steve:

I have a Honda EU700 and I've only used once it for like 10 mins.  I can loan it to you to see if it's something practical for you.  Heck, I might even give you a good deal on it.

If you'd like to try, let me know.  They are portable, quiet and handy.  If you're in the market, then I'd recommend the Honda brand.  They seem to be the choice of many.

Surfcal

Red neff Barchetta

"People try to put us d - down (Talkin' 'bout my generator)
Just because we get around (Talkin' 'bout my generator)
Things they do look awful c - c - cold (Talkin' 'bout my generator)
I hope I die before I get old (Talkin' 'bout my generator)
This is my generator
This is my generator, baby"

Steve -
I have a Yamaha 1000 watt generator.  It is perfect for our needs and small enough that it stores in a 24-bottle SNPA cardboard case lined with a black plastic lawn/leaf bag in the front storage trunk while in transit.  A tank of gas will last 7+ hrs.  My BIL has a 1K Honda and we ran them side-by-side - no noise difference at all.  My advice is to get the one you can find that is cheaper as they are both great generator's.  Since you don't have a/c (you'd need a 3K minimum to start an a/c) I'd suggest a 1K for running small camping appliances, charging batteries or running lights.  It's also great for power failures at home for running lights, etc...  Unless you want to keep your refrigerator running during a power failure, I can't see any reason to have a 2K or higher if you don't have a/c on your PU (as well as I personally wouldn't have one because they are very loud).  Anyway, the 1K is perfect.  We had 4 batteries on chargers & another on the wimpy charging clips that came with the generator all at one time at the Del Valle (no electric at our sites) rally in 10/02 and it handled that fine.  I have only fired it up one other time while camping due to my one of my better SPUT's;
There were 5 kids (ours & BIL's 3) running around the PU while we set-up and they made me nervous.  So I stored the tow chains in the stepper door and then without thinking yanked the break-away cable for the PU brakes and stored it too.  Drained the battery in about 5 hrs., lol!!   :rolleyes:  :mad:
If you don't have one by April and you join us then I will bring it so you can check it out.

Regarding Sugarloaf -
I hope you can make it.  I really think you'll enjoy the place.  It really is awesome with some terrific hiking or easy walking.  Anne Marie would be missed that's for sure, but hope you still can join us.

Surfcal

Quote from: Red neff Barchetta"People try to put us d - down (Talkin' 'bout my generator)
Just because we get around (Talkin' 'bout my generator)
Things they do look awful c - c - cold (Talkin' 'bout my generator)
I hope I die before I get old (Talkin' 'bout my generator)
This is my generator
This is my generator, baby"

Neff:

I am so glad you listen to music as opposed to trying to perform a Karaoke act.  Even without sound, ughhh, I can hear your singing.

Surfcal

Red neff Barchetta

Quote from: SurfcalNeff:

I am so glad you listen to music as opposed to trying to perform a Karaoke act.  Even without sound, ughhh, I can hear your singing.

Surfcal
You think that would be bad?  Yous should heeer meeees oon sheven beeeeersh, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............................