News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

HalfDome Hyjinx III

Started by calstate360, Aug 16, 2004, 04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russinator

Sal, Joan and everyone. I have some sad news - Donna and I have to back out of the rally. On Monday, July 18th, I had ear surgery. I told the surgeon before scheduling the surgery about the Yosemite trip and he said that it wouldn't be a problem. I saw him this afternoon and today [he said] that my recovery was going in the right direction but it was going shower than it should and that if I took my ear to the Yosemite area that the altitude would produce pressure in the ear, and due to the swelling inside the ear, I would be in a lot of pain and most likely permanent damage would occur. I feel really bad about backing out of the rally, Please let my know if you need anymore money - after all I did reserve a spot for five nights and only sent you a deposit. If anyone is interested in the problem I had and the reason I needed surgery you can read about it at: http://www.faldoc.co.uk/surfers_ear.htm

calstate360

Quote from: RussinatorSal, Joan and everyone. I have some sad news - Donna and I have to back out of the rally. On Monday, July 18th, I had ear surgery. I told the surgeon before scheduling the surgery about the Yosemite trip and he said that it wouldn't be a problem. I saw him this afternoon and today [he said] that my recovery was going in the right direction but it was going shower than it should and that if I took my ear to the Yosemite area that the altitude would produce pressure in the ear, and due to the swelling inside the ear, I would be in a lot of pain and most likely permanent damage would occur. I feel really bad about backing out of the rally, Please let my know if you need anymore money - after all I did reserve a spot for five nights and only sent you a deposit. If anyone is interested in the problem I had and the reason I needed surgery you can read about it at: http://www.faldoc.co.uk/surfers_ear.htm
That sounds like it would be painful at the altitudes you would be hitting.
Sorry you cant make it but your hearing is a lot more important.
I suffer some hearing loss from the police academy and it is a royal pain in the butt. Don't despair there is always next year.
Sal

oldmoose

Russ sorry you won't be able to make it. I just got hearing aids last week and I didn't know what sounds I was missing. Hope to meet you at one of the SoCal outings. The temps here dropped dramatically from a day ago. It's 9 AM and 59 degrees here in Fort Collins, CO. We go home tonight. I'll miss the morning wake up by our oldest grandson. No more Good Morning Pooh & Pop Pop. Oh well, life moves on and we're looking forward to next week.

Moose

Russinator

Hello Moose. I was looking forward to meeting you and the rest of the group but I think the smart thing to do is to listen to my doctor and follow his advice. About a month ago I was tested for hearing aids and ordered them. Naturally, right after my ear surgery the hearing aid place called saying the insurance company had okayed the aids and I needed to come in to be fitted. After telling them about my surgery we decided it was best to wait on the fitting until the swelling went away and the packing material was out of my ear [that should be in 2 weeks]. I can't wait to get the packing taken out of my left ear so I can hear in both ears again. In addition to that, I can't wait to get the hearing aids - to see what sounds I've been missing out on for several years now. In about two weeks this entire ordeal will be nothing but a bad memory, we can get back to camping and life in general. What are you doing in Fort Collins? Don't you live in Thousand Oaks? Please forget those questions, I just read the end of your post, where you said you are returning home tonight - have a safe trip. Yes, we will have to do a SoCal camping thing and talk in person, rather than on the Internet - sometime soon.

----------------

Russ sorry you won't be able to make it. I just got hearing aids last week and I didn't know what sounds I was missing. Hope to meet you at one of the SoCal outings. The temps here dropped dramatically from a day ago. It's 9 AM and 59 degrees here in Fort Collins, CO. We go home tonight. I'll miss the morning wake up by our oldest grandson. No more Good Morning Pooh & Pop Pop. Oh well, life moves on and we're looking forward to next week. Moose

Petrina

Quote from: oldmooseRuss sorry you won't be able to make it. I just got hearing aids last week and I didn't know what sounds I was missing. Hope to meet you at one of the SoCal outings. The temps here dropped dramatically from a day ago. It's 9 AM and 59 degrees here in Fort Collins, CO. We go home tonight. I'll miss the morning wake up by our oldest grandson. No more Good Morning Pooh & Pop Pop. Oh well, life moves on and we're looking forward to next week.

Moose
Thanks for the up date on the cost of fan.  Owee!! 84.00 !!  My kids have been home from school and sucking all my extra money out of me!!  May be with some luck I will go in and it will be on sale or some thing.   I am so exhited!!  I can't wait to get out of Hollister!!  I will have all my kids with me so this should be fun.  Are there mountan lion up there in yosomite or bears?   I was in columbia and a mountian lion jumped in the back of my truck!!  He didn't do much to any thing but left paw prints and a few scratches on the liner of my bed of the truck.  I talk to some locals and they did say thay have a few mountain lions in the area but there are so many dear abround they have never been a problem.   Yikes!!  Ok that freeked me out.  What do you do or bring to protect your self from wild animals?

Calstate361

Petrina, the only wild thing you will encounter on this trip might be drunk campers and rude people in the valley.   We have never had a problem with bears at Yosemite Lakes, in fact, they don't even have bear proof garbage cans.  We might get a skunk or racoon, so they say, but we have never had any problem and we have been going there every year in August for about 5-6 years now.  So not to worry.  They do have bears down in the Yosemite Valley so I guess that is why they don't bother coming where we are.  They get all the extra food they want down there.

7 days for us and Chelsie's Dad
8+ days for the rest of you!!!

Joan

calstate360

Quote from: Calstate361Petrina, the only wild thing you will encounter on this trip might be drunk campers and rude people in the valley. We have never had a problem with bears at Yosemite Lakes, in fact, they don't even have bear proof garbage cans. We might get a skunk or racoon, so they say, but we have never had any problem and we have been going there every year in August for about 5-6 years now. So not to worry. They do have bears down in the Yosemite Valley so I guess that is why they don't bother coming where we are. They get all the extra food they want down there.
Joan
The only animals I have ever seen there in 8 years are squirrels, birds and an occasional ripped camper. Plus the everywhere I go ant's. The rangers take care of the drunks and spray takes care of the ant's, and skeeters.

Sal

Azusateach

Quote from: calstate360The only animals I have ever seen there in 8 years are squirrels, birds and an occasional ripped camper. Plus the everywhere I go ant's. The rangers take care of the drunks and spray takes care of the ant's, and skeeters.

Sal
Hmmm ... mosquitos ... with as wet as this winter was, are those bugs from h#$& going to be a bigger issue than usual?  Is where we'll be camping close to any of their favorite hang-outs?

Laura

calstate360

Quote from: AzusateachHmmm ... mosquitos ... with as wet as this winter was, are those bugs from h#$& going to be a bigger issue than usual? Is where we'll be camping close to any of their favorite hang-outs?
 Laura
They are usually not bad in the campground. I just use my normal spray. Deet 100%, because I'm old arrogant and I picked some up out of State cheep. It has no health effects on me with all my health problems so I use it.
So just bring you normal spray, they are not bad, Joan uses Avon Skin So Soft
which I think is useless.

Sal

Calstate361

Hey, I resemble that remark!  ;)

I use the new Avon Skin-So-Soft that has the bug juice in it now!

6 days for us and Chelsie's Dad
7+ for the rest of you....

Joan

Petrina

Quote from: Calstate361Petrina, the only wild thing you will encounter on this trip might be drunk campers and rude people in the valley.   We have never had a problem with bears at Yosemite Lakes, in fact, they don't even have bear proof garbage cans.  We might get a skunk or racoon, so they say, but we have never had any problem and we have been going there every year in August for about 5-6 years now.  So not to worry.  They do have bears down in the Yosemite Valley so I guess that is why they don't bother coming where we are.  They get all the extra food they want down there.

7 days for us and Chelsie's Dad
8+ days for the rest of you!!!

Joan
Ha Ha Ha! Sounds like I should be scared more of the rangers than the animals.  Any way thank you every one I feel much better.  I am sure it is posted some where but are we all getting together for pot lucks ?  I wasn't sure of what stuff we might be doing as a group.  

Thanks again Petrina

calstate360

Quote from: PetrinaHa Ha Ha! Sounds like I should be scared more of the rangers than the animals. Any way thank you every one I feel much better. I am sure it is posted some where but are we all getting together for pot lucks ? I wasn't sure of what stuff we might be doing as a group.
 Thanks again Petrina
In all the years we have been going there we have only had problems with one drunk. Took care of that myself!!!
As far as things to do as a group? We are freewheeling Wagon-masters, and will not go into Yosemite until everyone leaves. We stay away until all the weekend tourists leave.:) So if you have any ideas post them and see if anyone responds.
As far as I know only the two potlucks are planed.
Sal

Calstate361

We really don't plan anything because people like to go to Yosemite and just do anything they want during the day.  I know last year Kevin and Margaret (6Quigs) were busy taking their kids to the swimming hole, playing miniture golf, horseshoes, etc.  So there is plenty to do for the kids right at the campground.  

We just bring whatever food out for breakfast and eat with each other, if you like.  So far we have people bringing: melons, breakfast burritos, muffins, and breakfast rolls. As for the dinner pot-luck, we try to get together around 6:00, but it tends to move toward 7:00.  It's all a matter of when people get their stuff together.  The campground has a large area that has tables and is covered that we can use, or like last year, the men can grab some of those tables and put them together between one of the sites.  We can decide that there.  As for what people are brining for the pot-luck so far:  tossed salad, spaghetti & meatballs, brushetta, and teriyaki chicken.  So, you can bring just about anything.  It really doesn't matter, we always end up with too much food anyway.

If you like fires, bring wood.  If I remember correctly, last year the campground sold bundles for about $7.00 (at the Ranger Station) and they were not very big.  Dee would probably burn that up just getting it lit!

Joan

towrod

Our youngest is 4 (7/31) so we will not be attempted any major hikes but do hope to visit the valley on Saturday - probably will do bridal veil falls, yosemite falls and take a hike to mirror lake.

We will bring Shrimp Scampi with Penne Pasta to the Dinner Potluck on Saturday.

Dee4j

Quote from: Calstate361Hey, I resemble that remark!  ;)

I use the new Avon Skin-So-Soft that has the bug juice in it now!

6 days for us and Chelsie's Dad
7+ for the rest of you....

Joan

Joan ...I do Too ...so there Sal. ;)  :p

I've changed my mind on breakfast burritos for Sat...but not sure what I'm doing yet