News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

RE: General coughing and rousing

Started by 6Quigs, Jan 22, 2003, 08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ab Diver

Red neff BarchettaJeff, noseeums are the larval stage of snipes, found in brackish estuaries along the mouth of the Columbia River. According to legend, one of the members of the Lewis and Clark Expedition stepped on one, and it bit his big toe. When he yelled in pain, his companions asked what the matter was. He could not locate the offending creature, and attempted to enunciate his concerns to the remainder of the party. Unfortunately, his extremely thick accent affected his elucidation, and his companions only heard " A  Noseeum!"

Re: your mod.... I *told* you the bumper wouldn t handle a 6 bike rack!!! [:o]

Hey, I flipped a page! Cool, now I get a cookie, right? (Thank you Don Rickels)

griffsmom

Ab DiverWow, it s quiet in here tonight.  Wait!  Did you hear that?  Oh never mind.  It s the sound of me thinking...

Nick

Ab DiverWell to reopen the discusion on digital cameras, I went out and purchased a new one last night.[:D]  I was tired of my old Sony Macivia.  It takes great pictures but its a little bulky.  I got a Nikon Coolpix 2100.  It is a 2.0 MP and has a 4X optical zoom and 3X digital zoom.  At first I purchased a Sony 3.1 MP with a 3X digital zoom but when I got it home realized the digital zoom sucks so I took it back, paid a few dollars more and got the Nikon.  I m happy with it so far with all the features it has.  One good point is Nikon still uses glass optics instead of plastic.  It does have the same deal as Scotts with the viewfinder only 80% of the actual picture.  Must be a standard deal.

Oh well, if any one wants a great deal on my Sony Macivia send me an email.

gsm x2

Nick
QuoteI got a Nikon Coolpix 2100. It is a 2.0 MP and has a 4X optical zoom and 3X digital zoom. At first I purchased a Sony 3.1 MP with a 3X digital zoom but when I got it home realized the digital zoom sucks so I took it back, paid a few dollars more and got the Nikon.

Mike--and to anyone else---yes, digital zoom does suck.  The optical zoom is the only criteria to look for in a camera, and ignore the digital zoom reading.  I m glad you took the camera back and got something useful that you like.  I look forward to seeing it in June.

Still loving my camera every day.

gsm x2

mrflinders

Ab DiverI am looking for a new digital camera as well.  What I am looking for is at least 2 MP (I am assuming this is sufficient for 8x10 prints) and at least 3X optical zoom.  And I want to keep the price around $200.

Any suggestions?  recommendations?

- mrflinders

Nick

mrflinders

QuoteORIGINAL:  mrflinders

I am looking for a new digital camera as well.  What I am looking for is at least 2 MP (I am assuming this is sufficient for 8x10 prints) and at least 3X optical zoom.  And I want to keep the price around $200.

Any suggestions?  recommendations?

- mrflinders

The Nikon I got was $249.  I also was looking for one around $200, but with the features this has I think the extra fifty bucks was well worth it.  If you do an internet search for Nikon Coolpix 2100 there are several mail order outlets that sell it for $200.  I decided to get it at Circuit City just becuase they are easy to deal with and if anything goes wrong they have their own service department that does warrenty work.

I just had something funny at work.  I was on the phone with a creditor and she was phonetically spelling my clients last name when she said " i"  as in elephant.[>:]

otter

Nick
QuoteI just had something funny at work. I was on the phone with a creditor and she was phonetically spelling my clients last name when she said " i"  as in elephant.  
Let s see? Shall we blame the wonderful California Educational system?  or ATT?

gsm x2

mrflinders
QuoteI am looking for a new digital camera as well. What I am looking for is at least 2 MP (I am assuming this is sufficient for 8x10 prints) and at least 3X optical zoom. And I want to keep the price around $200.

Any suggestions? recommendations?

And I got a Canon A40.  It is priced at $249.00.  I found it at Office Max for sale at $199.00.

gsm x2

Red neff Barchetta

Ab DiverMike & Scott -
 Can t wait to check out your new camera s!  We ll be getting one soon and will be seeking Scott/TMM s advice (again).

mrflinder s -
 Good to see you checking in!  Any chance you can make the June rally?  You can join the ever growing PU convoy from your neck of CA.  I m working on Griffsmom, but she s a tough nut to crack.
 I see we have some things in common;
 Beer, DS , beer, camping even if it means leaving DW at home (ha), beer, Tae Kwon Do (my DS is a " Recommended Black Belt"  through " ATA" ), and finally, how could we ever forget the beer.

The Memory Maker

Red neff Barchetta

QuoteORIGINAL:  Red neff Barchetta

Mike & Scott -
 Can t wait to check out your new camera s!  We ll be getting one soon and will be seeking Scott/TMM s advice (again).

mrflinder s -
 Good to see you checking in!  Any chance you can make the June rally?  You can join the ever growing PU convoy from your neck of CA.  I m working on Griffsmom, but she s a tough nut to crack.
 I see we have some things in common;
 Beer, DS , beer, camping even if it means leaving DW at home (ha), beer, Tae Kwon Do (my DS is a " Recommended Black Belt"  through " ATA" ), and finally, how could we ever forget the beer.

Jeff-
 how d the bumper thing happen?
 I know that I ve been away from the boards for a little while, but YIKES!!!

As far as digital cameras go,
 I would always recomend digital cameras that are made by camera companies(Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Minolta, Pentax, Fuji). Digital Zoom is the same thing as cropping your photograph(you can do it much easier in the computer).
 Nick- good choice. It s a real good seller that is a real good camera.
 P.S. the reason that there is a difference from the optical viewfinder to what you see on the screen is so that you don t accidently cut someone s head off.
 O.K. i ll stop ranting about cameras- I shouldn t bring my work home with me.

Cottonwooder

The Memory Maker
QuoteO.K. i ll stop ranting about cameras- I shouldn t bring my work home with me.

TMM, please don t stop.  I m hanging on every word you guys are posting.  Although I stick with point-and-shoots so as not to fiddle with manual settings, I love cameras in general and how they capture moments in time/record the past.  First thing I did when seeing TOS at SLO was look over his new camera.

gsm x2

The Memory Maker
QuoteP.S. the reason that there is a difference from the optical viewfinder to what you see on the screen is so that you don t accidently cut someone s head off.

Some, yes....but only 80%....my new theme song for picture taking is, " I m forever cropping branches."

Welcome back Great Scott.  Good to have you home.

gsm x2

Cottonwooder

Nick
QuoteNikon Coolpix 2100

Out of curiosity, I did a search on that on eBay.  Don t quite understand how a few of them are currently being bid at $1 and $.01 (yes, one cent), but then there s a sudden jump to $187.

There s an HP320 " factory sealed"  one going for $81, compared to $150 in stores.

What s the difference between optical and digital zoom?

Nick

Cottonwooder

QuoteORIGINAL:  Cottonwooder

QuoteNikon Coolpix 2100

Out of curiosity, I did a search on that on eBay.  Don t quite understand how a few of them are currently being bid at $1 and $.01 (yes, one cent), but then there s a sudden jump to $187.

There s an HP320 " factory sealed"  one going for $81, compared to $150 in stores.

What s the difference between optical and digital zoom?

From what I learned while shopping is that the optical uses the lenses for zooming and you don t loose any picture quality.  Conversly the digital zoom like TMM mentioned is just croping the picture and you loose picture quality.  The HP320 is digital zoom by the way.

Red neff Barchetta

Ab DiverTidbit of useful information for all NNC ers;
 Thanks to Camping Coxes on another thread who reminded me that I needed to update a camping guide that I have.
 I just picked up the latest edition (published just last month) of " California Camping"  by Tom Stienstra.  If you don t have this book I highly recommend that you do.  My Dad bought me the first edition in  87 and I have been updating it every 5 - 6 years.  A new edition comes out every 1 1/2 years or so.  Anyway, it has pretty darn accurate info. and review s on almost every single campground and a very large number of RV parks in CA.  This is THE CA camper s guide, or if you are religious, then THE CA camper s bible.
 It is well laid out and very easy to find what you are looking for.
 I should mention though, that he definitely prefer s campground s.  He only gives Far Horizon s 49 er Village a 4 rating and calls it the " grandaddy of RV parks" , lol.  Of course for our rallies, that is exactly what we want and my 5-th wheeling neighbor is jealous of us all for staying there.  Btw, I didn t realize that there are 2 pools and a spa!  I don t think anyone will have much trouble relaxing.
 Long and short of it;
 You should pick up this book if you don t already have it!

Tidbit for CWB;
 I also picked up a civil war era book called " April 1865"  by Jay Winik that looks pretty good.  I ll let you know once I m finished.  The bookstore lady who obviously despises television said, " I heard that they ruined it by making a tv show based on it on the History channel" , lol.  Don t know if it s true or not, but you might check your tv listings.