News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Joan's Surgery

Started by Calstate361, Oct 11, 2005, 08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calstate361

This is an update for those of you who are my "on-line" support group.  

For those of you who have not read the several notes in "Half Dome Jyjinx III" I informed the people who where camping with us in August that I was going to be having the Gastric By-Pass Surgery.   This thread is to keep you all updated on my progress.  

I have been through the Orientation, several "Life Style" classes, had a meeting with the nutritionist and one of the surgeons, and Friday (10/7/05) I met my surgeon.  He was very pleased with my progress and said I was a very good candiate.  I have lost 34 lbs. when I only needed to loose 20.   I had been told by the Nutritionist and the other surgeon that if I had met my goal weight loss that my surgeon would probably schedule my surgery within a month.  So we were looking at sometime in November.   Well, to my disappointment, the surgeon said, on Friday, that they are completely booked all through December and he was putting me on the list to schedule me when the schedule/appointment book opened up in January.  So it lookes like my surgery won't be until sometime in January or February.:mad:

So, I guess I will just keep following the diet they gave me and going to Curves 3-4 times per week.   The surgeon indicated that once I'm scheduled we will meet again about 2 weeks before the surgery and have some blood work done and meet my Anesthesiologist.  So, now it's the waiting game.

I'll keep you all posted and thanks for all the support.

Joan

OC Campers

0Hang in there Joan.  January will be here before you know it.

Jacqui

oldmoose

I know you're disappointed in the delay. It sounds like the diet and exercise are working for you as well. Good work and I know you'll do well as you have a positive outlook. We're camping tomorrow, yipee.

Moose

griffsmom

Joan--CONGRATULATIONS on all your hard work!  It has really paid off and I am so happy for you!!!!  I'm sorry to hear of the delay in your surgery, but it may be a blessing in disguise, since you'll continue to lose more weight and it may make the surgery and your subsequent recovery easier.  We will continue to keep you in our prayers.  Let us know how things continue to go.  We're rootin' for ya, girl!! :)

Surfcal

Calstate361

Thanks all for the kudos.  I am disappointed, but such is life.  I'm taking each day as it comes awaiting the surgery.

Way to go Moose!   Wish we were going camping.  

We have to get the Hybred fixed before we do.  When we came back from Yosemite in August Sal was trying to get the trailer on its pad next to the driveway and broke off a front stabalizer hitting it on the driveway pavement.   We have a light pole in the middle between the two houses and it is always in the way when he is trying to park the trailer.   Sal said it is something he can fix, but the stabalizer costs $80 at Camping World.  Of course, Sal will try to find the cheapest he can before he does it.  We will see.

Again, thanks for all the well wishes.

Joan

6Quigs

Joan,
Thanks for keeping us updated.
WOW 34 pounds!! thats fantastic. Keep it up, especially during the holidays ahead.
We will keep you in our prayers.

Sorry to hear about the Hybrid, but at least it was only something simple like the stabilizer that Sal can easily replace, just the $80 for a simple stabilizer is tough.

Keep up the good work with the diet!!

Calstate361

THANKS Kevin,

Please say "HI" to Margaret and the kids for me.

Joan

oldmoose

Hi Joan,

What's the lastest.

Moose

Calstate361

Haven't heard anything. Still waiting for the schedule to open up. I'll have to give them a call today and check. THANKS for asking.

Joan

UPDATE:  I called So. SF Kaiser and the receptionist said that they have not received the January Schedule yet.  She did tell me that there are 10 people ahead of me that also need to be scheduled.   So, it's till a waiting game.

Joan

TheViking

Maybe they want to keep putting it off so you eventually lose all the weight you need to to be at your target weight without the surgery.  Kind of a trick of sorts.  Hmmmmmmm.....  Although I can't see the doctor's passing up the cash....Hang in there.

Calstate361

That's what I told the Doctor and he just laughed and smiled.

As far as payment, it is through Kaiser Permanente, my HMO, so he just gets his regular salary and I don't have to pay anything, except my co-pay for the Dr. appointments.  The classes are free also.  But then it costs me to drive all the way to So. San Francisco from Sacramento, tolls, and food because it ends up being an all day trip.

Joan

Calstate361

LATEST UPDATE...I called the So. San Francisco Kaiser yesterday (12/6/05) to find out about the date of my surgery because I had not heard anything.   Well, January is all filled up and I am now #6 on my Surgeon's list.   Hopefully I will be scheduled in February.

I hate the waiting.....:mad:

Joan

otter

Quote from: Calstate361LATEST UPDATE...I called the So. San Francisco Kaiser yesterday (12/6/05) to find out about the date of my surgery because I had not heard anything. Well, January is all filled up and I am now #6 on my Surgeon's list. Hopefully I will be scheduled in February.

I hate the waiting.....:mad:

I'm with you Joan! I hate the waiting and find it is getting worse and worse with Kaiser. My buddy had to wait 6mos+ to have her artificial hip reworked. It didn't use to be like that. Kaiser says it is the fault of their 'aging population'
..I guess I should take that personally as I just received my MediCare Card..YUP! I'll be 65 this week. Quite a mile stone.
Keep on that new food plan..you're my s/hero
dianne

Calstate361

THANKS Dianne,

The reason it takes so long for this surgery is partially because it is "elective" and there are only 3 doctors doing the operations, plus the same 3 surgeons also do the general surgery so the Gastric Bypass surgeries are worked around all the others. It also depends on when the operating rooms are available. I'll update you all again the first part of January because I will call again to see if I have been booked for my surgery in Feburary or not.

Keep you all posted.

Joan