News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Forum too quiet - share next years plans

Started by Gwenzilla, Oct 11, 2007, 10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calstate361

Hey Jacqui, I got a call yesterday afternoon for an interview at the Roseville Wal-Mart by Kaiser.  Which one do you work for?  I'll let you know what the outcome is.  The interview is at 1:30 tomorrow (Wednesday).

Joan

OC Campers

Quote from: Calstate361Hey Jacqui, I got a call yesterday afternoon for an interview at the Roseville Wal-Mart by Kaiser. Which one do you work for? I'll let you know what the outcome is. The interview is at 1:30 tomorrow (Wednesday).

Joan
Hi Joan--
I work at the Walmart on Pleasant Grove and Hwy 65.   My Walmart is a Super Center which is a full grocery and is open 24 hours a day.  The "Lead Hill" store is a smaller store and is open shorter hours.  There is also a SuperCenter closer to you in Antelope.  Did you apply at the Lead Hill store?

Jacqui

Calstate361

Hi Jacqui,

I filled out the on-line application and checked all the Wal-Marts in my general area and within 25 miles of home; Lead Hill is the only one that called me for an interview.  By the way, after the interviews, I went to do the drug test and hopefully they will call me for orientation on Friday.  So, I should be working by this weekend.  I was hired as a cashier!  So, same as you...GOOD BYE weekends!  They also told me that I'm hired for the holidays, but would not be laid off after because they are also becoming a super store.  Just wish it was one that was closer.  To get there, I just go down Roseville Road to Douglas and turn on Harding to Lead Hill and I'm there, not bad at all.  I just drive past the Antelope store going to this one....oh well, need the gas money for our future travels.  I think it will be fun after all the stress of my State job.

Joan

OC Campers

Congrats Joan!!  Yup, all your weekends are over.  Are you full-time or part-time?  The good thing is I think you can transfer to another store after you have been there for 6 months.  I have been to the Antelope store a few times and they never have any cashiers during the day so I bet they could use you.

Jacqui

Calstate361

I had applied for part-time because I was told that I could only work 960 hours before it messed up the retirement.  I finally got through to CalPERS and asked and they said that the 960 hours thing was for companies that contributed to CalPERS and since Wal-Mart doesn't, I can work as much as I want.  SOOOOO, I'll go full-time for a while.  

Thanks for the tip on transferring to a closer store after 6 months, I might do that, although this is a nicer store than the 2 close to me.

Just got a call from Wal-Mart and my orientation is at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday.  I assume I'll get paid...  YAHOO, extra Christmas money!

THANKS Jacqui

Joan

OC Campers

Quote from: Calstate361I had applied for part-time because I was told that I could only work 960 hours before it messed up the retirement. I finally got through to CalPERS and asked and they said that the 960 hours thing was for companies that contributed to CalPERS and since Wal-Mart doesn't, I can work as much as I want. SOOOOO, I'll go full-time for a while.

Thanks for the tip on transferring to a closer store after 6 months, I might do that, although this is a nicer store than the 2 close to me.

Just got a call from Wal-Mart and my orientation is at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday. I assume I'll get paid... YAHOO, extra Christmas money!

THANKS Jacqui

Joan
Now I am biased but my store is the best one.  Employees transfer from our store to others and they seem to always come back.   The management makes all the difference.

The only thing I hear about the hours and other income is with social security.  You can only make so much money before they make you pay back social security (If you are collecting it)

Jacqui

Calstate361

I don't have to worry about Social Security yet because I'm not collecting it since I'm only 56; have to wait a few more years for that.  I'm anxious about tomorrow but it will be fun.

THANKS Jacqui.

Joan

OC Campers

Quote from: Calstate361I don't have to worry about Social Security yet because I'm not collecting it since I'm only 56; have to wait a few more years for that. I'm anxious about tomorrow but it will be fun.

THANKS Jacqui.

Joan
Good luck.  Orientation is no big deal.  all you have to do is listen.  Once you get on the floor, they will have you do CBL's (Walmart version of on-line training).  Hardest part will be when you get released out to the floor and you have to be trained.   You are getting hired at the busiest time of year.

If you have any questions let me know.  I will pm you my phone#

Jacqui

Calstate361

Thanks Jacqui, if your phone number hasn't changed, I have it on the list that Dee created.  I don't have any more questions now, but if I do I will sure give you a call.   THANKS for all you encouragement.

Funny, I went to a Pampered Chef party tonight with 2 sisters I met at Curves and they were trying to convince me to sell that instead of working at Wal-Mart.  I told them that if I did that, I would purchase all of their stuff and I don't need it as I have it all already (not Papmered Chef but the same suff).  NAH, not my cup of tea!

I'll let you know how the training went tomorrow.

THANKS AGAIN

Joan

Gwenzilla

Quote from: Calstate361I'll let you know how the training went tomorrow

[size=+4]Well ?? [/size]
How's did it go ?

Calstate361

How did it go?  Well, I feel SOOOOO OLD!    Last Saturday was training that was set up like a monopoly board game where the 5 of us being trained did the game which told us about how Wal-Mart got started and their policies.  I was off on Sunday and Monday was another day of training doing thre CBL's like Jacqui said.  That was all day on the computer doing true/false and multiple questions about various policies, customer service, hazardous waste clean-up, and the register.   The hardest one was the hazardous waste one.  You have to get a certain pecentage to pass each module; some had to be 100%.  I then went to the registers on Tuesday with a "buddy" and she trained me.  After lunch that day I got my own "numbers" which you use to log into the register and worked the register mostly by myself with my "buddy" watching over me.  Wednesday I only worked a half day, by myself on the register, because we were doing "turkey day" on Friday with my full-timer friends at Turtle Beach (near where the old Manteca Waterslides used to be) and I had to bake 2 pumpkin pies, 2 bundt cakes, and some rolls.  I didn't have to work on Thursday, was off on Friday, and worked 11-8 pm yesterday; this was the first day all by myself.  I hurt everywhere!!!!  BUT, it was fun seeing all the stuff people purchase and dealing with them.  I was fortunate enough not to get a grumpy customer so it was all very nice.  Even my sister's X-father-in-law came through my line.  I haven't seen him in years.  He said he would tell his wife to come by to see me.  Anyway, I'm off today and tomorrow and work the 11-8 shift until next Monday, then I'm off Monday and Tuesday.  

So, that is my life for now.  Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving.  Mine was very nice and had a nice visit with my friends.

Joan

Calstate361

Hey George,

Look at my post in SCCampers "ATTENTION MOOSE".  It's a web site for the person who likes "HOT/SPICY" food.    //www.pendreys.com

Joan

OC Campers

Quote from: Calstate361How did it go? Well, I feel SOOOOO OLD! Last Saturday was training that was set up like a monopoly board game where the 5 of us being trained did the game which told us about how Wal-Mart got started and their policies. I was off on Sunday and Monday was another day of training doing thre CBL's like Jacqui said. That was all day on the computer doing true/false and multiple questions about various policies, customer service, hazardous waste clean-up, and the register. The hardest one was the hazardous waste one. You have to get a certain pecentage to pass each module; some had to be 100%. I then went to the registers on Tuesday with a "buddy" and she trained me. After lunch that day I got my own "numbers" which you use to log into the register and worked the register mostly by myself with my "buddy" watching over me. Wednesday I only worked a half day, by myself on the register, because we were doing "turkey day" on Friday with my full-timer friends at Turtle Beach (near where the old Manteca Waterslides used to be) and I had to bake 2 pumpkin pies, 2 bundt cakes, and some rolls. I didn't have to work on Thursday, was off on Friday, and worked 11-8 pm yesterday; this was the first day all by myself. I hurt everywhere!!!! BUT, it was fun seeing all the stuff people purchase and dealing with them. I was fortunate enough not to get a grumpy customer so it was all very nice. Even my sister's X-father-in-law came through my line. I haven't seen him in years. He said he would tell his wife to come by to see me. Anyway, I'm off today and tomorrow and work the 11-8 shift until next Monday, then I'm off Monday and Tuesday.

So, that is my life for now. Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving. Mine was very nice and had a nice visit with my friends.

Joan
Joan, it looks like you survived.   Friday wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  I worked 4:45am-2pm.  My normal hours are 5am-2pm.  Saturday was horribly slow.  For my 8 hour shift I stood doing nothing for 5 of those hours.  Talk about a long day.  Yesterday was better.  

Get used to the pain.  I have been doing this job for 2 years and still walk like a duck in the morning because I am stiff.  Make sure you have a "shock" pad at your register Joan.  It makes a world of difference.  My huge problem is everything is setup for shorter people.  So when I am working I am constantly turning and bending so my back and neck are always a mess.  Invest in some real good shoes (like SAS).  They aren't pretty but help a lot.  
Also, try to move around (put bags in the cart or straighten the lane area) it helps to loosen things up.

Jacqui

Calstate361

Thanks for the tips Jacqui, I realized way too late on Saturday that I didn't have a pad at my register until the last 2 hours so that didn't help.  I'll remember to look for one now.   I did put the bags in the carts for people to move around, and it does help.  I also went to Sunrise Shoes today and took my Arch Supports with me and told them that I could only wear them for about 4 hous then my feet started hurting.  They changed them to full size (the others were only half) and a different type.  They were the same price so I didn't have to pay anything more for them; BUT, I did purchase a good pair of shoes that were $99.00 and I wore them home with the supports inside and have been wearing them all afternoon.  They feel much better.   They also said that if I still can't wear the supports for more than 4 hours to come back and they will try something else.  I knew about them because Sal gets his specail diabetic shoes from there.  Kaiser sent him there so he gets a free pair every year.  They have to put extra metal supports in the sole of the shoe so they are not the type that come out like mine.  My doctor also sent me there for my supports.  You might want to check them out.   It can cost you more but they take the time to make sure the shoes and supports fit properly.  If you go, ask for Ron, he is the store manager and is the best one to help you.  You also don't need an appointment, but sometimes it is better to have one because they get busy.  When we first went for Sal we had another guy and the next year when we went back we got Ron and he replaced the shoes from the previous year because they were not fitted correctly and broke down on him.  He was the one who said that Sal needed the extra metal in the soles so he replaced the old ones and since it was time for new ones, he got them too.   They really provide great service.  So I'll see when I go to work tomorrow (11-8:00 pm again!) how my feet and back hold up.

Joan

OC Campers

Good luck with the new show supports.   Let me know how things are going.

Jacqui